Repainting Water Stained Ceiling

Hello,

Had a leak from an upstairs bathroom, that discolored the ceiling of the room below. Leak now fixed.

Before I repaint the leaked area (turned brownish-orange), what do I want to coat it with prior to the regular latex interior house paint.

I heard about a product called "Kilz".

Is this what I want, or is there something better ?

Do I have to scrape out all the damaged area first, or just put some more spackle in there first, or... ?

Not too sharp with this, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Many years ago, the Kilz brand was billed as the one to use when you needed to cover stains. But, they also make a primer that's just primer, to compete with everyone else who makes primer. It'll work fine. If you want to go top-of-the-line, open your yellow pages phone book, find some hardware or paint specialty stores, and find a place that sells Devoe or Martin-Senour brands. Go there. Buy it. Don't ask how much. Just buy it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Kilz will work. If it's basically just a stain, you can paint the Kilz right over it. If there is a little roughness to the surface, you can sand it smooth and paint it with Kilz. You don't have to dig it out.

But, I have also done this and it worked fine: Spray the stained area with any enamel spray paint you may have around, then paint over it with regular latex paint to paint the ceiling. The enamel paint keeps the stain from "bleeding" through, which is what Kilz does.

Reply to
BETA-32