repainting baseboard molding

My baseboard molding has a lot of ridges between the round protusions (running along it's length) and near one of the exterior doors, shows a lot of paint cracking. How do you scrape or sand this molding considering it's multiple ridges ( along it's length ) in order to repaint that section of molding ? I was thinking of a screwdriver with some sandpaper but think there must be a better way. I want it to look like it did when it was originally painted (or as close as possible to the original looks).

Reply to
frank

The best way is to take a piece of steel, profile it to match the = molding and use it as a scraper. Less effective would be a sanding flap = wheel...a sanding device with several strips of abrasive around a = center, the strips having numerous slits. In use, the slit fingers = follow the contour of what you are sanding.

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Your best bet may be to take it off and strip it. If the paint is continuous with the paint on the wall, it likely will chip along the joint. That can be repaired on the wall by spackling and painting. If the cracking is all along the bottom edge, it is likely from moisture picked up in the raw, unpainted bottom side of the molding. Can fix that by priming all sides of it before replacing it. The built up paint will eventually be noticeable, so in the longrun stripping is more work but will take the bb back to it's original nice shape.

To sand down in the grooves and not strip it, fold the sandpaper over something with an edge, like a wide scraper. I hate sanding, and shaped molding is pretty tough sand without getting high and low spots.

Reply to
NorMinn