Repainting an old freezer

I rescued an old freezer from a rural cabin I own - it was in a laundry room with poor protection from weather and the paint on top of the freezer had somehow moistened and is peeling off. There are also rust spots, though the rust isn't so severe as to have ruined the appliance.
I've emptied it, defrosted it, and given it a pretty thorough cleaning inside and out and now want to repaint it before using it again. How should I go about prepping and repainting it? Note that it will be going in my storage room and doesn't have to look good - I just want to clean and repaint it well enough to prevent any further rusting and so it is easy to keep clean.
I should also note that I don't have much prior experience with household painting, but this project doesn't look terribly difficult.
Thanks, Peter

Go for it. You can buy "appliance" paint that is well suited for it, or you can just buy regular spray paint. I've had good luck with Krylon brand as it seems to have less problems with runs.
Sand off the rust Spray the previously rusted areas with primer.. Prime it all for best results. Spray on the finish color.
On 13 Jul 2004 13:29:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Peter Werner) wrote:

Make sure all the rust is off. Then get some Rustoleum (sp?) and spray paint it. Depending on how bad a shape its in, you may want to spray an undercoat on it first.
Good luck...
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.

When I was a 16 year old (in 1964), I got an old refrigerator from some apartments that were being demolished. I wanted one for out by our pool for soft drinks. It was a classic, probably worth about $3 million today on ebay. It didn't look that great. So, I went to the fabric store and got some tiger stripe material. Glued it on with upholstery glue. The thing was probably 20 years old when I got it, and it lasted a lot of years after that.
Got more compliments on that old fridge.
Steve

No, that's what it COST to run...
(I was delighted to get rid of the Norge fridge from the late 60s when my landlord faced $240 to fix it and finally got one that drew 1/3 the power).
Something to be said for not using an ancient freezer. (mom picked up a 3 year old deep freeze for $150 at an estate auction last fall in nearly new shape).
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:39:38 GMT, Chuck Yerkes

Not sure about freezers, but when my mid 1980's refrigerator died, a relative gave me and old 1940's fridge. Not only is it still running well. but my electric bill went down. The only disadvantage, I got to defrost this old one. I think that auto-defroster wasted lots of power.

Remove the loose stuff and treat the holes with bondo. Unless you do not care about the top. Wash the outside with tsp, wet sand, then prime. Let dry according to the manufactures statement then final paint. You might need 2 coats on this one. Then I would put on a coat of clear. It will make it easier to wash.
I bought a close cousin of your freezer and painted it with a roller and rustoleum. Left a nice textured finish that helped conceal the other blemishes. Light sand and clean first with alcohol or something other than water. Spraying inside can be a mess.
Peter Werner wrote:

Peter:
PW> I rescued an old freezer from a rural cabin I own - it was in a PW> laundry room with poor protection from weather and the paint on top of PW> the freezer had somehow moistened and is peeling off. There are also PW> rust spots, though the rust isn't so severe as to have ruined the PW> appliance. PW> PW> I've emptied it, defrosted it, and given it a pretty thorough cleaning PW> inside and out and now want to repaint it before using it again. How PW> should I go about prepping and repainting it? Note that it will be PW> going in my storage room and doesn't have to look good - I just want PW> to clean and repaint it well enough to prevent any further rusting and PW> so it is easy to keep clean. PW> PW> I should also note that I don't have much prior experience with PW> household painting, but this project doesn't look terribly difficult.
Hopefully it works after all the work you intend to put into it! Lightly sand all surfaces to be painted to roughen so the new paint will adhere. Wipe off with a clean rag. Tape off areas not to be painted such as the door gaskets, nameplates. Spray paint the unit using an appliance paint, using sweeping motion. Avoid any urges to get cute like they have on TV to paint "yummies inside", and the like: the extra layer of paint has a way of managing to show. Let the paint dry in it's own way -- the use of fans to speed up the process isn't generally a good idea. Also be sure the area is free of dust and insects: perhaps create a paint room with visqueen.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Feb. 20, 1926: publication of the first issue of the New Yorker.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971