Reolacement top for toilet

A large picture fell off the bathroom wall and broke the china top to the toilet. I need a replacement top. The toilet is a Universal Rundel #4490, 1.6 gal/flush. I cannot find a U/R dealer because Universal was bought by Crane, which appears to have been bought by American Standard. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I can get a replacement top locally here in the Princeton NJ area, mail order or over the internet?
Thanks, EJ in NJ
EJ Willson wrote:

Glue it together or build a wooden one.
Remember, he wants to buy a new one. He didn't ask if he could glue it together, or a source for wooden one. He said that he wanted to buy a new one. Did you actually read the OP ??
James --------------------------------
Glue it together or build a wooden one.
James wrote:

Stop prevaricating; all good suggestions. PS. Remove picture. Pictures in bathroom; sheesh!
EJ Willson wrote:

Just the lid, you could patch and cover with a doily or something. Whole top, probably need new toilet.
Frank wrote:

ISTR seeing somewhere on the web a web site selling used toilet parts. that might be your best bet. I'm too lazy to DAGS for it at the moment...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

eBay = $40.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#0360971129
EJ Willson wrote:

I'd call Crane and a couple of plumbing supply houses and see if they have an old one in a warehouse someplace. Ya' never know :o)
EJ Willson wrote:

Have you called local suppliers? They would be in the best position to know what would be available there or possible other solutions.

Every time I go to a Habitat for Humanity thrift store or a place that processes tear down houses, I'm amazed at the number of toilets they accumulate, you could buy the whole thing for a few dollars take the parts you want and donate the remainder back to them.
On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 12:20:31 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX

I've actually made it a point to visit stores in various travels. San Diego, Saranac Lake, NY and a few others. Many times you find what you need locally.
Interesting places to visit.
When I owned rental property it was not unusual for a tenant to break the top of a toilet tank. (Don't know how they did it)
Take the broken one to an appliance recycler who sells old appliances, toilets, bathtubs etc. Commonly found in the less affluent parts of town.
I always found an old cover that fit. Easier and cheaper than buying/installing a new toilet.
You can then deduct the price of a toilet from the security deposit. (How to get rich in ten easy lessons.)
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

cover to remove the extra beer stashed in there. And then 'perhaps' dropping it!
The top that is; not the beer!
stan wrote:

double-layer baggie or two. Why they think that is a good hiding place, I will never understand- one of the first places the cops check. I could understand keeping it near the toilet for a fast (albeit expensive) jettison when needed, but IN the toilet?
Standard disclaimer, no, I don't do recreational drugs, nor advocate them for anyone else. But I did grow up in the 70s. You couldn't help learning some things.
-- aem sends...
EJ Willson wrote:

Google 'replacement toilet tank lids'. There are several companies out there that carry NOS, salvage, and 'universal' lids. Here is one at random that shows your number. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tanklids_overstock.html . At the price they want, I'd be tempted to replace the whole thing with a fresh one.
-- aem sends...
I would try SEARS. They used to huge into replacement parts, and they were a big supplier of Universal Rundle once upon a time.
HTH

If you can't find it at a local salvage yard or some of the other sources people have offered up, try Adam and Eve Salvage in West Palm Beach. They have a field of toilets (literally!) and could probably find what you want - they're starting an internet business. They're at http://www.adamandevesalvage.com /.
When we remodelled we sold them our old colored toilet fixtures for $5.00 ea. - beats leaving them at curbside for the trashman.
Anyone in southeast Florida, this is an interesting place to visit. We bought a pallet of oriental ceramic roof tiles from them and some other odds and ends. They've got stuff from old mansions, theaters, street lamps, oversize doors. Even though their things are a little pricey, I don't understand their business model that keeps them going --
EJ Willson wrote:

What a lot of suggestions..thanks to everyone. I'll try the local "salvage" yards, and if necessary then I think I'll order it from e-bay.
Thanks again,
EJ in NJ