renovation install - door first or flooring

I'm going to get my front exterior door replaced, and also change carpet to laminate flooring for main floor. Currently, the entry area at the door is kind of old ceramic tiles. Before talking to installation guys, I got a couple of questions:

1) which one should go first, door or flooring? 2) What is recommended flooring at the door entry? I 'm thinking to use laminate for whole floor, but it may not look good. Saw some houses use lino there.

Thanks.

Reply to
John91

It'll be easier to get the door to match if you do the flooring first. The flooring should not butt up against the door frame since the wood expands. An alternative is an "entrance-way" of material other than wood flooring. Some other floor covering the width of the door and, say, 2 or 3 feet deep. We have ceramic tile, but other choices come to mind.

The rationale is that rain, dirt, yak-yak-yak won't hit the wood floor.

Reply to
HeyBub

It can probably go either way, but typically exterior doors go in before flooring (this is the way it always is in new construction). This way, the new floor can butt into the door threshold. If you put the floor first, how will you know where the door threshold is going to be precisely? Laminate is not a good choice in an entry IMO unless you find some that is resistent to water. The particle board based products will swell and be ruined with only small exposure to water. Vinyl would be OK. Tile would be best.

Reply to
marson

Good advice from both. Thanks.

I preferred flooring first, as I don't want my new door got hurt when moving flooring stuff inside. I'll make good wrap around.

Reply to
John61