Renewing old Cedar Closit

I have a 40 year old Cedar Closit.

Is it too old to sand down the walls to refresh it or do I have to replace the wood?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce K.

No to both but applying cedar oil is easier than sanding.

Reply to
dadiOH

How about both at the same time - sand in the cedar oil with some 400 grit paper?

Good Luck

Reply to
Baron

'Pends...

If it's a full-thickness half- or three-quarter T&G it'll come back nicely w/ a scraping.

If it's one of the very thin stick-on or similar products laid over a substrate wall there may not be much aromatic left given.

Can't hurt to try, though.

Scraping w/ a wood scraper (_wood_ scraper for finishing, _not_ a paint scraper type) is quicker and more effective than (hand) sanding.

--

Reply to
dpb

In the 70's I lived in a building built in 1930 and every apartment had a cedar closet. Of course it was made with full thickness cedear wood, I don't know how thick that was.

It does seem like it might need something after all those years. OTOH, I don't know how much it takes to scare the moths away, which is the purpose, right?

I think I would leave the door shut for a couple days, then go inside and close the door, and see if I could smell the cedar. I think if you can smell it, then for sure the moths will.

Reply to
mm