Renewing old Cedar Closit

I have a 40 year old Cedar Closit.
Is it too old to sand down the walls to refresh it or do I have to replace the wood?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bruce
Bruce K. wrote:

No to both but applying cedar oil is easier than sanding.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

How about both at the same time - sand in the cedar oil with some 400 grit paper?
Good Luck
On 3/24/2011 8:31 AM, Baron wrote:

'Pends...
If it's a full-thickness half- or three-quarter T&G it'll come back nicely w/ a scraping.
If it's one of the very thin stick-on or similar products laid over a substrate wall there may not be much aromatic left given.
Can't hurt to try, though.
Scraping w/ a wood scraper (_wood_ scraper for finishing, _not_ a paint scraper type) is quicker and more effective than (hand) sanding.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:07:47 -0400, Bruce K.

In the 70's I lived in a building built in 1930 and every apartment had a cedar closet. Of course it was made with full thickness cedear wood, I don't know how thick that was.
It does seem like it might need something after all those years. OTOH, I don't know how much it takes to scare the moths away, which is the purpose, right?
I think I would leave the door shut for a couple days, then go inside and close the door, and see if I could smell the cedar. I think if you can smell it, then for sure the moths will.