Render DVDs Unusable?

Page 2 of 3

CWLee wrote:

Microwave oven. Try it, you'll like the light show.
TDD
On 11/7/2009 5:06 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

I was going to suggest that. Try one first. It really gives some kewl visual effects. (Google for it; for some reason, there are *hundreds* of web pages out there dealing with the subject of nuking CDs.)
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
CWLee wrote:

For yourself, or for a client? If there is HIPPA info on them, your client's insurance company/lawyers may prefer you take them to a commercial destruction facility, so they have a report in the file if they get audited. But if it is your own stuff, a metal container and acetone or even gasoline, should work fine. Production destruction of DVDs, with audit trail, is done by disk duplicator from hell. It has a cutting head, and shaves down the metallized side, but leaves the s/n of disk on the hub legible, so it can be logged as destroyed, by 2 people. Costs a whole lot of money, but works very fast on a couple hundred disks per hopper load. I wouldn't run them through a consumer-grade shredder. Sure, it'll do a few, but it is a hell of a stress on the teeth. If you only have a few, get out the tin snips, but wear gloves and goggles. Those shards are sharp.
Me, I just scratch them and snap them. But then again, the stuff I throw out, every 5 years or so, isn't likely to interest people who can reconstruct quarter-circle sections of the data tracks with a laser scanner and reassemble the whole pile into meaningful data.
-- aem sends...

Stick them in a microwave, its fun.

3 seconds on high in a microwave oven.
Put a disposable cup under the dvd to avoid any mess from melting plastic.
I take a pair of bandage shears (or compound action tin snips). Cut at radius to the disk, take about 1/3 of the disk out. Throw out the 1/3 of the disk in this weeks trash. Throw 1/3 in next week's trash. Throw the other third in the trashbin when you stop to gas up, next time.
Only an Act of God will then recover the data.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

All the methods posted work. You can also run them through a decent quality shredder.
My shredder cost less than $50 and makes nice plastic confetti out of them.
Colbyt
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 22:53:10 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
[snip]

[snip]
P[R] = P[A] * SQR(-2.3) / C
C = e - .999999999
P[A] = R[G] * N
N = pi * SQR(-1)
R[G] = SQR(C * -1) * K
K = SQR(-2) * (C * (1 / C) - 1)
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, "CWLee"

Do you have a hatchet? Set them on a block of wood and whack them. Even a good crack will keep anyone but the NSA from recovering the data.

Stupid uwave tricks can be a lot of fun
Jimmie
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 18:17:47 -0600, Mike Paulsen
[snip]

I used to get a lot of those. I'd cut it with a wire cutter and label the place "consumer protection notch".

Mark Lloyd
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:57:06 -0800, CWLee wrote:

With all due respect to everyone, why does anyone think he is important enough that someone else would go out of their away to retrieve his data from dvd's that have not been mutilated enough? It's not going to happen.
--
"Sects, sects, sects! That\'s all you religion majors ever think about."
-- Garth Snyder

Dunno about the discs but the 'drill a hole" is the recommended method for destroying hard drives.
Harry K
On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:54:52 -0800 (PST), Harry K

The NIST link above (gleaned) "Optical mass storage media, including compact disks (CD, CD-RW, CD-R, CD-ROM), optical disks (DVD), and magneto-optic (MO) disks must be destroyed by pulverizing,"
Some government agencies require "old/dead hard drives" be sent to "central office" for degaussing, before destruction.
Me! I think of Thermite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjLgzgflCk8

A little more on thermite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPAYZMzGMwQ&NR=1

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 08:54:52 -0800 (PST), Harry K

That is because when the head flies over the hole it crashes. Usually just opening one up and hitting the platter with a hammer does a dandy job.
Unless you have NSA hacking your drive, any of the data security erase programs will work. They write alternating 1s and 0s across the entire surface several times alternating them. I think 7 is the guv'mint standard for "gone". The casual hacker is stopped simply by formatting the drive and then overwriting it with small garbage files until it is full. A simple DOS batch file will do that.
CWLee wrote:

Bend them with your hand until they splinter into a thousand pieces, or put them in a microwave for about 4 seconds each. Or do both.
As the OP I'd like to thank all you guys for the suggestions, serious and otherwise. I took a pair of snips from my garage and cut all the DVDs in half. One half of each of them was then deposited into a smelly and moist dumpster behind a seafood restaurant, and the other half were placed in the trash bin at a Walmart about 20 miles away. Task completed. Thanks again.