Render DVDs Unusable?

I have a number of DVDs containing computer backup information of a sensitive nature. I plan to throw away the older ones, but first I want to render the data on them irretrievable. Can anyone here recommend a quick, cheap, easy way to do that? I've heard that drilling 2 or 3 1/4" holes in them does the trick, but that is just a rumor to me. What about placing them, one at a time, in a vice, half clamped tight and the other half then struck hard with a hammer - hoping to break it in half?

Suggestions and experience reports appreciated.

Reply to
CWLee

Hi, Shredding is easy. Or cut it into couple pieces with scissors.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My new shredder handles CDs, but before that I used a sharpie to scribble all over the CD. Remember that CDs aren't like old records, they are recorded from the inside out, so be sure to mark over the center area of the CD. scratching with a nail of knife would add an extra level of security..

With my new shredder, I still scribble on them before shredding - paranoid maybe, but rather be sure I don't lose my personal data!

Reply to
Mark

I wrap CD's in heavy duty foil, put in oven for about 15 min at 425. Take em out, mash up the mess and put in garbage when cool. None have burned or given off smoke :o)

Reply to
norminn

Microwave oven. Try it, you'll like the light show.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 11/7/2009 5:06 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

I was going to suggest that. Try one first. It really gives some kewl visual effects. (Google for it; for some reason, there are *hundreds* of web pages out there dealing with the subject of nuking CDs.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Do you want discourage the average thief or a determined one? If the former, a shredder is quick and easy. If the latter, the microwave or the BBQ.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

For yourself, or for a client? If there is HIPPA info on them, your client's insurance company/lawyers may prefer you take them to a commercial destruction facility, so they have a report in the file if they get audited. But if it is your own stuff, a metal container and acetone or even gasoline, should work fine. Production destruction of DVDs, with audit trail, is done by disk duplicator from hell. It has a cutting head, and shaves down the metallized side, but leaves the s/n of disk on the hub legible, so it can be logged as destroyed, by 2 people. Costs a whole lot of money, but works very fast on a couple hundred disks per hopper load. I wouldn't run them through a consumer-grade shredder. Sure, it'll do a few, but it is a hell of a stress on the teeth. If you only have a few, get out the tin snips, but wear gloves and goggles. Those shards are sharp.

Me, I just scratch them and snap them. But then again, the stuff I throw out, every 5 years or so, isn't likely to interest people who can reconstruct quarter-circle sections of the data tracks with a laser scanner and reassemble the whole pile into meaningful data.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Stick them in a microwave, its fun.

Reply to
ransley

3 seconds on high in a microwave oven.

Put a disposable cup under the dvd to avoid any mess from melting plastic.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If that is the method, then coarse sand paper or memery stone is easier.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I take a pair of bandage shears (or compound action tin snips). Cut at radius to the disk, take about 1/3 of the disk out. Throw out the 1/3 of the disk in this weeks trash. Throw 1/3 in next week's trash. Throw the other third in the trashbin when you stop to gas up, next time.

Only an Act of God will then recover the data.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do you have a hatchet? Set them on a block of wood and whack them. Even a good crack will keep anyone but the NSA from recovering the data.

Reply to
gfretwell

Stupid uwave tricks can be a lot of fun

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE
[snip]

I used to get a lot of those. I'd cut it with a wire cutter and label the place "consumer protection notch".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

All the methods posted work. You can also run them through a decent quality shredder.

My shredder cost less than $50 and makes nice plastic confetti out of them.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

With all due respect to everyone, why does anyone think he is important enough that someone else would go out of their away to retrieve his data from dvd's that have not been mutilated enough? It's not going to happen.

Reply to
Rocinante
[snip]

[snip]

P[R] = P[A] * SQR(-2.3) / C

C = e - .999999999

P[A] = R[G] * N

N = pi * SQR(-1)

R[G] = SQR(C * -1) * K

K = SQR(-2) * (C * (1 / C) - 1)

Reply to
Harry L

True! But I generally keep those in my workshop and not my computer room! Bottom line - any way you can destroy the surface of the CD or DVD will render it useless.

Reply to
Mark

Just remember to do the label side. That's where the data lives.

Reply to
AZ Nomad