Removing Wood Subfloor On Concrete

I have a vinyl on wood underlay over concrete floor that has to come out down to the concrete due to water damage. Not sure how thick the underlay is yet, but it looks like at least two layers of plywood/ pressboard/???

Any tips on this job? Vinyl removal seems straight forward enough but the wood part has me thinking. Current plan is to put an old blade in the skilsaw, set it to a bit less than guesstimated wood thickness, cut into squares and start prying.

While googling, I found a couple of references to using a sawzall to cut out subfloor. They must be talking about wood over joists, right?

TIA, Red

Reply to
red

That will probably work just fine. Consider a Harbor Freight 67256 multitool for scraping any crap stuck to the concrete. Some folks use a jig saw with a shortened blade for cutting close to corners or areas where a circular saw won't go.

Right.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

See if a local rental store has a "5' Pneumatic Long Reach Scraper"

Sometimes called a "Pogo-Stick". Looks likes this:

Oren

re: "They must be talking about wood over joists, right?"

One way to find out!

P.S. If you try it, put it on YouTube. It might be fun to watch.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Have you taken any vinyl off yet to see if you could tell how the subfloor is attached?

I'm not sure if that would help you make a decision on how to proceed, but at least you'd have some idea as to what's going on.

I'd want to be d*mn sure it wasn't some kind of raised floor with pipes underneath before I took a saw to it. Odds are it's not, but stranger things have been found.

Reply to
DerbyDad03