Removing water stains from wood panelling

I have some water stains around the edge of some wood panelling in my 60 ye ar-old family room. I would like to somehow remove the darker color of the stains without having to completely refinish the panels that are affected. My first thought was to try some bleach applied to an inconspicuous area using q-tips or equivalent. Hopefully someone will have a better idea.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Heading to the hardware store later today, will try suggested Oxalic acid.

Thanks

Reply to
hrhofmann

Oxiclean might do something. Worked on some stains or me. Must be completely dry to see effects.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

My local Menards did not have Oxalic acid, I will try to find Oxiclean tomorrow and see if that works. Hopefully at Menards or at Walmart??

Reply to
hrhofmann

I was doing stains on wood floor from padding. After sanding I used oxiclean mostly on the spots, by may have applied dilute solution to whole floor. I did three coats of polyurethane a day or two later. I was really disappointed at results. Looked ugly to me. But then, after some a day or two, it really changed for the better. Can't say how, but final result looked good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A paint store should.

Reply to
Dana F Bonnett

Found some at Walmart. Applied a fairly strong solution to the stains, it removed them partially, but still visible. Will see about removing the surface varnish and then reapply, and then maybe restain the entire panel.

Reply to
hrhofmann