Removing wallpaper glue

I removed wallpaper from every square vertical foot of an 1800 sf house. What I learned is to use warm water and time. Spray the water on. Let it set. Scrape with plastic drywall knives or wipe with terrycloth. No fast way to do it. You just have to let the water soak into the glue until the glue is liquid once again. Slow down.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

When I did it recently, I settled on a mild solution of TSP and water. I applied it several times with a sponge mop, then scrubbed with a fibrous scrubbing pad. The one I used I believe was made by 3M. It was a course stiff pad about 1" x 6" x 4" with a handle mounted to it. It quickly loosened the paste, which could then be sponged off.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Once I discovered the scrubbing pad, it went amazingly quickly. Have "fun".

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Just removed wallpaper border (just border, no other wallpaper), and it left quite a bit of glue residue. Based on the lousy performance of DIF Wallpaper Stripper, I'm hesitant to spend more money on yet another product that's marginal. Are there any normal household cleaners (ammonia, etc) that might make short work of this, or is it just an elbow grease kind of job? The walls have satin finish latex paint, but they're going to be primed and repainted, so a certain amount of abuse (while cleaning them) isn't a big issue.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I was hoping for something that would make the glue residue leave the wall automatically and jump into the trash can. But, I get the feeling your way is what I'm facing this weekend.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
lastone222