removing wallpaper

I have removed a bunch of wall paper in my time, none of it easily. I have tried the store purchased chemicals, steamers, scraping, etc. Its just a messy job. I need to remove a border in the half bath. Looking for reccomendations on getting the paper and glue off the wall. Are there any home recipes you have had success with such as mild soap and warm water? Any new or faithful products at the home center to ease the job? Really hope this isnt going to turn into a full days job to remove a border. Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

Assuming the rest of the wall is painted, it should not be difficult. If you can, just pull the border off. You will probably get the surface/vinyl coating, leaving rough paper on the wall. Spray the paper a couple of times with plain water and let the water soak in for

5-10 min. Then scrape gently. I've taken off lots of paper, including two coats that had each been painted. The only trick is getting water to the paste. I tried a "Paper Tiger" once for piercing the paper, but don't like it - very coarse sandpaper, used carefully, works as well taking care not to cut down into the paper coating of the wallboard.

If you have most of the paper off, some remains, just spray again and scrape some more. Wash the wall to get the remaining paste off - it should quit feeling slimey when the paste is gone. If some fool used Elmer's glue to apply the paper, you may need to sand it. There is a "repair" paste, for mending seams, that is tough to get off - ran into it removing paper for a friend once. It was kind of like Elmer's but softened after a while. Tougher than regular paste. It's a messy job, and I know of no way to avoid that.

Reply to
Norminn

I also have removed a bunch of wallpaper in my time. Warm water, watching the paper to see how it reacts to same, and careful scrubbing works EVERY time. The thing I have learned in countless hours of removing wallpaper is that every wallpaper is different, and there is no easy way that applies to all wallpapers.

HTH

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Use something called "WP Chomp". Peel off the first "layer" of wallpaper as much as you can, then use a brush or roller and apply that stuff. Wait a minute or two, but don't let it dry. Peel off remaining paper while it's still wet.

Reply to
Bob M.