removing tree stumps

Page 1 of 3
what is best way to remove tree stumps?
in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this possible?) or use other more common techniques.
suggestions?
stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.
Front loader is great, but makes a big hole.
You could use a power washer to wash away dirt around stump, then when you have made a cavity under it, put some charcoal and soak with lighter fluid and let it burn for several hours. You will be able to remove stump with a shovel then and a little prying.
Fire... I like this idea. tell me more.
dig under the stump (how far under the stump?) light stump on fire then remove what's left
wouldn't the burned wood be weaker and tough to remove as a whole unit?
as an aside, the builder has NOT done the landscaping yet, so if holes are made by removing trees, they might get filled when the landscaping and finished grade are done.
stumps/trees are on a hill sloping down if this makes a difference- hill is probably a 15 degree, maybe 25 degree grade. Easy to get under, and not worried about holes, as erosion will smooth them out regardless.
Unless you are talking about a really small tree, which you woudn't do this for, you just want to dig out enough under the stump (or use a powerwasher too) so that air can get to the charcoal. no way you are going to burn the stump out, but you can burn/seriously weaken the roots holding it all in. Let it burn good for a day and then you should be able to pull it with a tractor or truck...maybe even pry it with a large bar.
I guess it's possible with a front loader, but it would be a real mess. Try either a backhoe or stump grinder. Next time, leave about an 8 or 10 ft. tree trunk, and you can pull them out with a tractor. Depending on the tree and type of soil, you can sometimes pull them out with a 4 wheel drive truck.

Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth to have a bunch on their property?
Dan'l.
"Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth to have a bunch on their property? "
That's a great question isn;t it? Here in NJ, it's common to see builers level everything too. And I don't understand it. With all the environmental issues today, you'd think this would have stopped long ago. I'm not one of the nuts that thinks every homeowner should have to get a permit to cut down a tree, but to see builders clear out nice mature shade trees seems like a waste.
As to how to get rid of stumps, for the OP, the answer is a stump grinder. Either rent one or pay a tree service to do it.
Here in our county, in Florida, we have to get a permit to cut down trees. When a builder starts to clear some land for new houses, he has to notify the county and they tell him which trees can be cut. They mark the trees that can't be cut. The builder then "clears" the land, pays the fine and tacs that fee onto the price of the house. The county is happy with the additional revenue. Very common practice.

Some trees are messy. I despise oak trees which in the DC area produce enormous amounts of pollen in the spring and slowly drop their leaves from Nov through Jan. Nice looking and strong but not in my or my neighbors' yards. Other times when the builder removes most of the trees the remaining ones are prone to damage or toppling due to wind. They grew up in a sheltered forest and suddenly are exposed to the full force of the wind. Not good to have NW of your house around here.

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful. Just be thankful you don't have a Catalpa tree, or worse, a female Ginkgo tree.

We had a big beautiful oak tree where I grew up. Some garden service told my mother it wasn't well and we had to dig a trench around it, a couple feet deep. She didn't want to spend the money, but she trusted him and she did it.
I was there, a couple years ago, 46 years later, and the tree is bigger and more beautiful.
In fact the house and yard look as nice as they did when we moved out.

What was the point of the trench? I've never heard of this.
Bob

I don't really know. I was 9 years old.
I'll admit that I think I've only seen one other in my whole life, and I'm not sure that one was actually dug. By the time I saw it, it was at ground level on one side, and may have just been the way the ground was, without any digging.
I guess my mother wondered if she really had to do what he said, and I'm so happy it didn't make things worse, that I'm assuming it was good advice.

I have over 200 trees, some over 80 feet high. After cutting a tree down, I cut the stump close to the ground so that I can mow over it. After a few years it rots out. You can speed up this process by drilling deep holes into the stump and keep the holes filled with 34-0-0 fertilizer.
Phisherman wrote:

I know that some people have a method of getting rid of stumps where they have a burn barrel with no bottom. They start a fire in the barrel and keep it fed for several hours. The stump burns down below the surrounding surface level and is effectively removed.

remaining
The problem trees in the DC area (for me anyway) are the Tulip Poplars. Weak trees that skyrocket. I had multiple TP's lose major limbs, or the whole tree, at my last home. The few Oaks I had stood proud even in the biggest wind storms.
My latest gripe are the Black Walnut trees at my new home. Very pretty wide spread branching, but messy as hell. I wish they were Oaks or Maples.
I have a two story great room in the back of my house. Two story window looking out the back. And I see a dead tree taller than my house right out my window. Behind this dead tree is another 50-100 trees which are alive and further away, and down a hill into a creek bed.
So I decided to move the tree line further away from my house. I took down about 15 really small trees, about 15 feet tall and maybe 4" in diameter. A few of the trees were bigger, but some of them were dead. I now have a backward large enough for me to put in a deck, and still have 50 trees between me and the soon to be backward neighbor (that lot has not been sold yet).
In addition I want to plant some shorter trees because the 50 tall ones are higher than my house, and it's easy to look into my great room from the back, so I plan to go to other side of creek bed and plan some evergreens for more privacy. Let's see houw this turns out, a profile of my backyard. I removed trees on flat portion by back of my house.
back of my house| plant evergreens here lot ends here back of my house| _____________________________. back of my house| / back of my house|______ lots of tall trees / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ on slopes / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ limbs are higher / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ than my house/ dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ creek bed / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\________/
almost- I own up other side of creek bed and need shorter trees to block view into windows on back of house.
back of my house| plant evergreens on back of my house| opposite slope back of my house| x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x_____. back of my house| x x x x x x x x x x x x x / back of my house|______ lots of tall trees / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ on slopes / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ limbs are higher / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ than my house/ dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\ creek bed / dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\\________/

In my area there are several people with trailer mounted stump grinders that will do it inexpensively. I had two done recently, both about 12" in diameter, charge was $40. The more you have the less it is per stump.
What you have to remember is that they only go down about 4" below grade. The rest of the stump is still there. As it rots you will have to fill the area periodically to level it out. And you might get a crop of mushrooms over the rotting stump.
jIM wrote:

Quick fast inexpensive: Stump Grinder.
--
Joseph Meehan