removing tile adhesives

Hi NG,
This page shows a couple areas of tile adhesive I'm removing:
http://merrillpjensen.com/pages/althomerepair1.html
I have 2 areas of tile removal that are problematic for me, and I wanted to see if anyone knew any tips. The first has thin tiles as yet unremoved, with sticky, petroleum based goo holding it fast after many years. I could imagine a few solvents that might loosen this up, including water, mineral spirits, and lighter fluid, and goo gone.
This area had normal ceramic tile on it, so this might be thinset. Here, I might think of water, water with a base, water with acid, maybe mineral spirits. Your thoughts? TIA
--
Cal

Cal Dershowitz wrote:

Thinset is cementatious. Acid will eat it. It will also eat whatever the thinset was applied to. The other liquids you mentioned will do nothing.
Your best option is a chisel and hammer.

If they used underlayment, it may be easier to remove and replace the underlayment.