Removing Textured Ceiling

All, I am in the process of removing my Textured Ceiling. It is just the basic Spiky Drywall Ceiling. I have tried putting water on parts and taking a drywall knife and scrapping the Texture down too the Original Drywall Board. This works but sometimes scrapes against the board causing visible damage to the drywall board underneath. Does anyone have any tips for removing the texture? Has anyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

Reply to
Burhans

Go to the group page at

and search this group for your answer.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Slumlord

You could always sand it down with a power belt sander. If you scrape it off, chances are you are going to end up skim coating the ceiling and sand it down anyway because it will be pretty hard not to nick the drywall surface. The sanding option is going to create an intense amount of dust.

I'd almost just rip the drywall off and rehang it, drywall is cheap. But hanging ceiling drywall isn't exactly fun.

Reply to
Mike

a belt sander will dig more holes faster than you can blink an eye than scraping will.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I had a friend with the same stuff. He covered the floor in plastic tarp, got the garden hose in, and the stuff came off real easy once it was hosed down. Maybe you will scratch the drywall a bit, but you will have to repaint anyway (I would assume). Repairing a couple of scratches is far more preferable (to me) than hanging new sheets of drywall on a ceiling and taping/mudding seams.

Reply to
chester

try using a more water to soften up the texture.Some drywall touch up at the end is part of the process.Beware of texture that has asbestos in it Todd.

Reply to
ToddWiedeman

We just had it done to about 500 sf in our house. I had done it before, and we just sprayed with hand pump sprayers, let it sit about five minutes, then scraped. These guys used very little water, and there was minimal mess compared to the job we did.

I did notice that they used wide scrapers like drywall knives. Keep the scraper almost flat on the surface. I think that keeps you from digging in at any one place. Don't worry if you don't get it all in one swipe. Make more than one pass.

If your popcorn has never been painted, it will come off infinitely easier than if it has been painted. The original mix will have something to do with it, too, as will temperature and humidity.

I saw a guy do it one time with a big vacuum hose attatched to a pan type contraption that had a scraper edge on it. It was a very clean process. As the texture fell, it went right down the vacuum hose.

Just don't rush it. It really does come off easy.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB