Removing stickers from cabinet

I need to remove the stickers from the face of a display cabinet I bought. When I pel it, it tears and leaves the adhesive on the cabinet.

Anyone know of a safe way to remove this?

(Sorry if this comes up as a repost. My computer was acting goofy and I wasn't sure if my previous attempts went through, so Iam posting from a different computer)

Reply to
celticsoc

wrote

You're talking about glass, right? Nail polish remover. Make sure you don't get it on other surfaces, for obvious reasons.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Dab of vegetable oil using finger tip, let soak the paper and wipe off.

-- Oren

Oren

On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:23:56 -0700, Oren graced this newsgroup with:

I've found that lighter fluid (like Ronson or Zippo), works very well in removing the gum/paper left over when peeling off items from wood, glass and plastic.

Neither my wife or I are smokers but we always keep a bottle of it handy for just that purpose.

*Whatever* you do, DON'T use Goof-off. That stuff *stinks* and no matter how hard you try, you have a devil of a time getting rid of the small.

Lighter fluid has a mild odor that dissipates almost immediately.

Reply to
Max

Vegetable oil and soak the label. Wipe off.

-- Oren

Oren

wrote

Ralph's grocery stores (and perhaps others) in Southern California sell a cleaning liquid (in the household cleaning supplies section) brand named "Di-solv-it" (I might be slightly off on the spelling) that has worked for me on lots of similar situations. Spray a bit on, let it stand for

20-30 seconds (that is important), and then wipe it off. Sometimes a second application is required to get all of the dissolved adhesive. If you start rubbing right away, without waiting 20-30 seconds for the fluid to soak into the adhesive, you will be disappointed.
Reply to
CWLee

quoted text -

Don't forget WD-40

Reply to
Bob

Use a 5" angle grinder. Be careful not to scratch anything.

Reply to
Jeff Goldberg

About time someone mentioned the old WD. Peel the label. Soak what's left. Scrub the oil soaked remnant with finger nails, or nylon scrubby pad.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If this leaves gummy stuff, use orange cleaner for that. Not sure every brand is as good as another, at least after 8 years.

Reply to
mm

And vegetable oil :-))

-- Oren

Oren

Glass?

I would suggest first trying to heat it carefully using a hair dryer on low heat and heating a large area. Most tags will come off with ease after heating.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yeah, that stuff is great. It was the first one I saw for sale, but there are now a couple other orange-based cleaners that I think are often just as good.

Reply to
mm

We used to use rubber cement thinner (or its main ingredient Naptha).

Now we use a heat gun.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Sun, 13 May 2007 19:37:52 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" graced this newsgroup with:

lighter fluid doesn't require soaking or scrubbing. Squirt, wipe off, done.

Reply to
Max

GOO GONE is the product that takes this glue off. I found it in the hardware store.

Reply to
betsyb

Max wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

charcoal grill lighter fluid also works. Good as an automotive bug and tar remover,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

WD-40. Let it soak for a minute or two and it will slide off like a wet stamp. WD-40 is something that is always useful to have around the house. Lighter-fluid, naptha, acetone, etc. is something you have to buy for just your one job. I wouldn't have any of these highly infammable fluids around the house. They also don't store well - will evaporate with time.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

On Mon, 14 May 2007 10:47:36 -0400, "betsyb" graced this newsgroup with:

yeech..the stuff smells horrible and stinks up the whole house.

Reply to
Max