Removing stains from house roof shingles

I had ugly black stains on my roof shingles. I read up on it and first used oxalic acid. That didn't work and I tried household bleach. The black stains disappeared but left an ugly light brown stain in its place. I tried bleach twice more. The last time I used nearly full strength bleach. Before the bleach could dry (I did this in the early morning before the sun hit the roof), I washed the bleach off with a hose. The brown is still there; looks worse than the black mold because the light brown really stands out against the dark shingles. It makes the whole house look shabby.

Now I'm getting really frustrated. I didn't want to use a power washer but I feel that I'm left with no choices. I use a 40 degree tip (the widest tip) on the power washer angling down on the shingles (never pointing up the roof). The power washer is extremely powerful so I don't want to get too close and damage the shingles. The power washer does reduce the brown stains somewhat. In the higher elevations of the roof where I didn't want to spray up and get water under the shingles, the brown looks positively awful.

I believe that my original mistake was not rinsing the bleach off on the first pass and I caused the brown stain to become permanent.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Reply to
Bob

quoting my post from last month in thread about power washers:

I live in Houston, a swamp of algae and mildew, so my 'new' house has some algae on the bricks. I wanted to try chemical removal first before pressure washing. I'm not certain if bleach will have any effect on algae (as it does on mildew). I browsed at Lowe's and found several spray-on cleaners for houses. Then I found this stuff at Ace Hardware:

specifically for algae. It was expensive per gallon but it seems to work well at killing the stuff, plus it leaves a residue that keeps the stuff from growing back. It doesn't have the immediate effect that power washing would but then power washing can damage siding, etc. (update: this is cool stuff, it's working well).

Check out their website, they show some machine to spray roofs. Don't know about the bleaching effect from the bleach, could be permanent.

Reply to
meek mike

You should have used M1 roof and deck cleaner from Home Depot with a small pressure washer with 40 degree tip. You have nothing to lose try it now.

Reply to
ROBMURR

Are you sure the brown isnt the tar comming up, you need to show it to someone that knows before you make it possibly worse.

Reply to
m Ransley

[...]

No, it's not the tar. I got a little bit more aggressive with the power washer and I was able to further reduce the brown stain.

I'm going to try some of the products that other posters have suggested.

Reply to
Bob