Removing Snow From Driveway - Best Long Term Solution?

Page 3 of 5

For me, it's an issue of time savings as much as the work involved.
For example, last Sunday my wife and I spent four hours shoveling out our driveway so she could get out for work on Monday. We don't always have that luxury. Sometimes it'll be completely clear the night before, and we'll wake up to 6-9" on the ground.
It's not a big deal if I have all day to clear the snow away. But if we wake up and discover it has snowed, the faster we can get the driveway cleared the better, or else someone is going to be late for work.
Even with a snowblower, there will be plenty of hand shoveling involved around the cars, on the walk between the house/garage, etc.
Anthony
HerHusband wrote: ...

If there's 6-9" of fresh snow on the ground in the morning, I'm sure you or your wife will be far from the only folks a little late to work that day... :)

Actually, our snow is usually limited to our elevation. Go down the road just a mile or two and there's usually nothing. People at work give you this "yeah right" response when you tell them you're late because of snow. :)
Anthony
HerHusband wrote:

So, they're uninformed--you the only people living at that elevation in the county? Seems unlikely... :)
-snip-

Not the single stage blowers. The up side is that they clean right to the pavement. On your gravel drive you'll get the hang of tilting it a bit on the first snowfall until all the gravel is frozen in.
The rotor and scraper on the 1800 is plastic. If memory serves the rotor is about $25 & the scraper about $10. You'll need a big allen wrench, a Philips head screwdriver, and 20 minutes to change them. Buy a spare when you buy the machine - or at least be sure the locals carry them. nobody in NY does.
When half my driveway [probably 75' x 20 and a 20x20 turnaround] was gravel I used to change mine nearly every year- but I get 100 inches of snow a year.
From what you say about your snowfall I think you'll be real happy with the electric.
Jim

Where are you? Tug Hill or other insane snow place?

-snip-
no way-- 100 inches is just a heavy frost for Tug hill.<g> They're over 112 so far this year. Just southwest of them, near Oswego they got 60" in one 2 day storm this year.
I'm near Schenectady, NY- the 100" number is Albany, our nearest weather station. We're usually within a few inches of them. This year we've only gotten about 30 inches so far- I'm not complaining.
Jim

A friend was out near Oswego last year, and took pictures of roads with 10 foot high walls of snow on either side after plowing. Amazing.

I'm in Rochester. So far, the two worst things have been the drunken plow driver taking out 4 feet of my lawn, and over the weekend, I ended up with a 4" thick glacier on my driveway. Pure ice, no snow. Pulling into the driveway was really interesting, even with 4WD. I finally destroyed it today, using a pitch fork to open channels for the melted water to drain away. Tomorrow, it starts all over again.

hey, this weekend when it's 15 degrees, you can join people in Charlotte jumping in the lake. It's something to do with donating to the Special Olympics.

I was in a military trainign program at Syracuse U 1967/68 winter. Hit with a lake effect snowstorm that closed the city for an entire week. Parking lot was a smooth, unbroken layer with drifts on top. Not even car antennas were poking out. We fell out and hand shoveled out to the city road - almost a 1/4 mile. Shovel until you heard a clunk, clear a bay, clear around the vehicle, push it into the bay and continue on.
Was fun then but I wouldn't want to repeat it.
Now that I think back, it may have been my earlier tour which would have been 65/66.
Harry K

I know exactly what you mean.

You can buy a single stage model for $400 at Wal Mart. About 10 years ago, when my MIL moved in with us she bought me one and it still works great. Every time I use it, I'm still grateful for it and wich I could thank her.
Single stage is good for snowfall up to about 10". If it is very heavy and wet you have to take smaller ites, but the light anf fluffy stuff goes very easy.

Hi Anthony,
According to this firm, budget roughly 50-watts per square foot for an electric snow melting system, so just that 20 x 30 ft. area in front of your garage would require some 30,000-watts of electric heat (130 amps @ 230-volts). In addition to the cost of those pavers, you might want to price out a new 400-amp service .... (or two).
Source: http://www.allwarm.com /
At $0.10 per kWh, a 30 kW system operated an average of three hours per day would cost you about $275.00 a month. And if you plan to snow melt your entire driveway, your costs would be in the range of a $1,000.00 a month.
Cheers, Paul
The option i find best is to just drive over the shit and not be so anal about getting it off. Unless you're driving a go-cart, you should be able to keep it under control just driving on it twice a day.

"S. Barker" wrote:

Bingo!

My gas snow thrower has an electric start. In the small event of loss of power it has a pull start.

Gravel in a gas thrower is a million laughs. 4th word in the post.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Actually, a snow blower will work just fine on a gravel driveway if you know what you're doing. You have to get the first inch of snow packed solid to cover the gravel and then start using the snow blower, ensuring that the height adjusting skids are set properly.

I have been using a 'blower on a big gravel drive for 30 years. Only problem I have is when it picks up a piece that gets caught between the auger and housing and jams the machine. Skids set at about 1" work just fine as long as the gravel drive is reasonably flat withouth hilles, hummocks, ruts.
When I first moved in here I put in 30 yards of 'topping gravel' (1/2" minus plus lots of fines). Bladed the drive a few years later and added another 20. It is now as flat as a paved drive, packed hard and very ittle difference between a paved one. I do pick up a bit of gravel from the state highway plowing me in. Other than the 'jamming' problem (rare) the only bad thing is the noise going through the chute :).
Harry K

Get a gas powered snow blower with electric start. Get a good one, like Aryens, from a power equipment shop that does service, even though you won't need much with an Aryens. Be happy. You can find space for it somehow.
HerHusband wrote: (snip)

Some people find that the cheapest option (other than shoveling) is to hire it done.