Removing small dabs of paint off hardwood floors

There are small dabs of semi gloss latex paint, near the baseboards, on the hardwood floors.
I think it was from the last time someone painted it 3 years ago who wasn't very careful, so the paint is set.
What is the best way to remove it? Get a razor blade and scrape as much of it up? And then what? Some type of solvent?

have you tried just scraping it with your finger nails?
hi why don't you try using Motsenbocker's Lift Off #5, it is a biodegradable and water based paint removal product. just a suggestion, though.
good luck!
Kitchen Sinks Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at http://www.spicyhome.com

If you can't just scrap it off (gently!) then try a product called Goof Off. I suggest trying it in an inconspicious spot to ensure it won't damage the finish. In most cases, you should be able to soften up the spots just enough to remove them with damaging the floor's finish.
http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

that was my next suggestion
I would suggest a plastic putty knife rather than a razor blade. A razor blade may hok into the wood and gouge it, the putty knife will not. You could just try some household gleaner like Greased Lightening to soften it and provide a little lubrication but Goof Off or Lighter fluid should do the trick. (they are very similar, one is just cheaper)
Kate
wrote:

that was my next suggestion

If it's dried latex paint, try, first, a plastic scrubbie and water. Bet you anything, that, plus elbow grease, will take off all of the paint.
Donna B

Avoid any extreme effort like razor blades and solvent.
Try a damp cloth and use your finger nails. -- Oren

Some latex paints are made with ammonia-based dispersants (or whatever) so it may be worthwhile to see if treating some of the spots with household ammonia could soften them enough to make removal easy. Ammoia is not very likely to attack a typical floor finish of varnish or polyurethane. Good luck.
Joe

Look in the paint section of Home Depot or your local hardware or paint store. In addition to Goof Off, they have a couple of other products which are less harsh and specifically targeted for removing latex paint from a variety of surfaces without damaging them.

Be carefull with ammonia, it will darken oak, ever heard of Stickley ?