Removing sleeve type anchor from ceiling

Someone back in the past hung up a curtain rod to my plaster ceiling with a sleeve type "Molly" anchor. I can't remove this anchor easily and haven't been able to find encouraging news online. Does anyone know how to remove this type of anchor without making a big mess? We're patching the holes and about to paint. Thanks!
Here's what it looks like (sort of)
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4269106.pdf
I don't think there is any way to remove these and not take a chunk of the plaster with it. Your only hope would be to dent it in a little, with a light touch of a hammer(carefully) and then fill the dent with plaster. Good luck.

Yeah, all you can really do is push it through or cover it up. I suppose you could try to drill it through the middle so the front ring falls off and you can push it through a smaller hole but there's a risk it would spin the molly and make a mess.
pipedown wrote:

Ok, I think I'm all set now. I drilled out the bottom using two drill bits in stages. I was lucky, there was no spinning, although I took it easy with the bit since I was drilling through metal. The larger bit caused the flange to completely break away from the rest of the anchor post. Then I used a flat screwdriver, just bigger than the remaining width of the anchor, to push it up farther into the ceiling, with the help of a small hammer. I didn't push it all the way through, but far enough that there is plenty of hole to fill in. I'll probably be using water putty for that part of the job, or perhaps vinyl spackling. Thanks for the advice!
I have had the best luck with carfully drilling out the center, then pushing in the sleeve, filling the cavity with wet kleenex, and finishing off with spakling (maybe 2-3 coats). With the plastic sleeves, cut off top with a sharp chisle or utility knife, and push through. Same repair technique as the moly bolts.
John Lawrence wrote:

Yep - If its a "molly bolt" then yes, the only thing to do is hammer it down just below the surface and plaster, Spackle, use patch or drywall compound to cover. If you remove it you will have a bigger hole to deal with. If you can get to the back side then you might be able to nip off the ears with diagonal cutters and remove it.