removing seated tailpiece

As always, a small plumbing repair has turned into a bigger job than expected. I need to replace the tailpiece in our ceramic bathroom sink, but it is puttied so tight to the sink that I can't budge it. I can't get anything between the flange and the sink to chisel it out, and I don't want to damage the sink. Is there anything that I can use to soften the cured putty so that I can get the tailpiece out?
snipped-for-privacy@everestkc.net wrote:

Yeah, you sure don't want to use force on any china sink.
The tailpiece should be mechanically fastened, not just puttied. Either by the drain fitting on top screwed into the waste or (more common today) a large brass/zinc nut on the bottom.
If a nut on bottom that simply will not come off, drill a couple holes thru its edge and split the nut.
Or...run a fine hacksaw blade thru the tailpiece OD.
Jim