removing scratches on glass ?

How difficult is it ? got a few scratches on the front door glass and a few on the windshield.
Thanks

if you can feel them with a fingernail, they can't be gotten out without some distortion. for a front door glass, that may be acceptable. for a windshield, it's not.
you can polish glass with very fine abrasives and water, lots of water. if you do this without enough coolant, the glass cracks. it also takes a long time.
you can get a pretty good polish with cerium on a felt pad.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
Sonbo wrote:

Last year I bought this kit from J.C. Whitney and clened some scratches off the windshield of son's new to him car. Looked like a wiper blade failed or fell off as there were several arc shaped scratches in the glass.
http://tinyurl.com/8cegs
It's just a felt buff and a jar of cerium oxide powder.
Took me about an hour of work with the buff chucked in a variable speed drill, but all the scratches polished away fine.
You look *through* a windshield, not *at* it, so a tiny bit of distortion caused by a little extra curvature here and there on the glass surface gets lost in the noise caused by the movement taking place when driving.
http://tinyurl.com/8cegs
Back when I was a kid you used to be able to hire guys to do that work for you. Some of them made the rounds of auto sales places and "fixed" the glass on their used cars. They're probably a lost breed these days, so buy a kit and DIY.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

You can buy a smaller kit for half that price on eBay. If you don't have to do 25 windshields...
Sonbo wrote:

Check your auto insurance. It may cover the windshield (not likely the side glass).
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit