Removing rust from old planes and other iron/steel tools?

Are there any magic "potions" that can help remove rust from old planes and other iron/stool tools?
Or is it best to use just steel wool/sandpaper with lots of elbow grease?
What is your favorite method for removing rust?
blueman wrote:

Do a web search for "electrolytic rust removal" .
--
Snag

I use "Evapo-Rust". Just dunk the tools you want derusted into a container of it overnight and ta-da just like magic the rust is gone with no scrubbing needed.
Plenty of youtube videos about it and it's recommended by Rick Dale of "American Restoration" and Rick's Restoration.
You can buy it at Harbor Freight, O'Reilly's Auto Parts, and Auto Zone.
On 3/5/2014 9:39 PM, blueman wrote:

shop teacher had some stuff. Decades ago. I want to say Naval Jelly. I wondered if it would rust again, applied and washed off with water. He said not if I dried it promptly.
Now days, I'd dry and then soak it with WD-40.
My present rust remover is a wire wheel on bench grinder, or wire wheel on drill.
--
.
Christopher A. Young