Removing Rotted Wood, and Re-Filling Areas: What To Use ?

Hello:

Have several spots (a few inches x a few inches) in some 3/4 plywood flooring that has rotted, perhaps half way thru, due to water leakage.

Would like to chisel out the rotted portions, and re-fill them with some type of compound that when sets up, would set up hard. Would then re-sand the spots to refinish the floor flat.

Is there anything appropriate for this ?

Don't really want to use epoxy, as I doubt that I could ever sand it smooth once hard.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I would first make sure source of water is gone/cured. There is a dry mix putty that works well, called *somebody's* Water Putty. I think it is acrylic, and inexpensive, easy to mix with water, and will not shrink upon drying. It also sands easily, and is strong. I've used it to fill rotted parts of siding, first chiseling out all rot, spraying with Jasco preservative, drying out, then applying water putty.

Reply to
Roger

Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty is as good as you can get. Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

Depending on exactly where it is at, I would worry about just filling in that part of the floor. If it is going to be subjected two weight, you may find it giving way at a rather poor time. The patch will not be nearly the strength of the original and while the lower portion may seem solid, it has been subjected to water and it is not likely to be in good shape itself.

If at all possible I would suggest replacing the damaged sheets.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan