removing red wine stain from wall

Hi folks, I'm new here. I need to remove a large stain of red wine from my living room wall (light yellowish paint). How do I do it, short of repainting the wall? thanks a lot.

Reply to
nmdc69

Must've been one hell of a party. Or, argument with the spouse.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Can't enter into details... I'll leave it to your imagination ;)

Reply to
eric

Paint is porous. I think you have to paint.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

How large?

If wine was still fresh.........clean with white wine as "cleaning solution", spray on...blot / wipe gently

I did this very succesfully with white carpet & red wine.....but I did it within minutes of the spill.

On paint you can try the same thing but only if it is realtively fresh (~ 1 day)

Don't rub too much, you'll damage the paint surface.

If the paint was white you can use a little Softscrub (the kind with bleach) on a sponge.....again, rub very gently / lightly or mostly blot & let is set so the bleach can work. This technique works great but you've got to be careful.

With colored paint you'll have less "safety margin" but give it a try...... the worst that can happen is you'll have to repaint plus the more red wine you get rid of, the less bleed thru. But if you repaint use Zinseer High Hide Cover Stain over the wine

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I'd try Chlorox bath spray on a small test area. Bleach should remove wine and hopefully pigment in paint will be inert. Frank

Reply to
Frank

When you do that, do you only have to use the cover over the stained part?

You seem to say that but I don't want to find out too late that I misunderstooo.d

Reply to
mm

The Zinseer High Hide Cover Stain is like Kilz.......a modern version of pigmented shellact. A stain killer / sealer...such stains are sealed onto the paint layer on which thye exist so they don't bleed through subsequent layers of new paint.

So if the bleaching or Softscrub doesn't get rid of all the wine & youve got to repaint just hit the wine stianed areas with the sealer.

Both Kilz & Zinseer are availabe in spray cans & work great for small areas.

Did the SOftscrub or bleach work?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Thanks for the help. It's on white paint, about a foot large but with nasty little rivers all the way to the floor, and it's a week old... I'm not in the US, we don't have Softscub here, do you think regular bleach work?

Reply to
eric

Ok, now we have the details...........

btw I have the reputation of being able to remove most stains from anything :0

since it's a week old you can forget the white wine trick...that works in the first few minutes, up to 15 for sure (my white rug)

Sorry about not having SoftScrub but we can get around that.

i like the SoftScrub (the type with bleach) because it serves as an abrasive agent AND a bleaching solution.

I suggest you make some "homemade" SoftScrub w/ bleach using a WHITE scouring powder & adding a bleach solution of 1 part bleach, 3 or 4 parts water.

Mix this into a paste & put it on a light (natural) colored sponge......not a lot, just about a teaspoon.....smear it onto the sponge with the palm of your hand....don't drip this stuf on the carpet or your clothes i(it will belach them out)

rub the sponge over the stain, scouring gently....let the stuff sit for a few minutes

repeat & check progess...if the stain is lightening you're headed in the right direction

BUT it's a race to see if the stain goes before you rub through the paint

I have removed water leakage stain from very detailed plaster work with this ......I could have repainted but it would have tended to fill in the plaster detail

Good luck, let us know how it works out

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Begin by learning how to drink or joining AA ...... LOL

Reply to
maradcliff

Will do. Thanks a lot!

Reply to
eric

*Plonk*
Reply to
eric

Does the wall have drywall on it? You prob. have to paint it.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky