Removing recessed light (new construction housing)

I need to repair the wiring in an "eyeball" type 4" canister light in a plaster lathe ceiling. It won't budge and I can't feel any clips through the slits in the side so I assume it is in a "new construction" rather than "remodel" type housing and is screwed into the joists. It is in a first floor room ceiling so there is no access from above (unless I tear up the hardwood floor overhead). Is there any way to remove the can without digging one or two large holes in the ceiling to gain access?

Remove the eyeball and look around inside the can. Some are held onto the mounting ring with screws which can be removed. Others are just held in place with some clips exerting pressure against the can in which case you should be able to just pull the can down.