Removing Rain-X from car windshield

Always heard brake fluid damages car paint. But never heard about Coke being used on glass. Coke was recommended for cleaning chrome car bumpers. Remember them? Like old soldiers, they just faded away.
--Vic
On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 17:12:56 -0600, Vic Smith

Yeah Vic I remember chrome bumpers well because I had several cars with them. I didn't know that Coke was good for cleaning them.... darn wish I knew that then.

Hey, I didn't say it worked. Just that it was "recommended." I never paid attention to anybody recommending that. Just used the chrome cleaner they sold in stores. That always worked. Drank the Coke. (-:
--Vic

Just make sure it's the *morning* paper. The evening edition won't work. ;-)

I never had a problem in the desert, then was thinking how much I used them. After two years my paint was going bad, and hoses under the hood started going bad.
I used aa heavily on my tires, they started cracking after a year.
It's hard to tell what the blades are made of. Might be vinyl. Maybe a vinyl conditioner. I usually like to wax my windshields to.
Greg
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I did not read all the posts on this but I wanted to remove it from the outside because I didn't like it. I called the factory. According to them it forms a bond with the glass. They stated the only thing that will remove it is either BonAmi window cleaner ("never scratches") or Clorox Soft Scrub. Scrub is the keyword. I used the lemon scented as I did not want bleach around the car.
I tried alcohol, lacquer thinner, silicone remover, acetone, all kinds of miracle glass cleaners - all no joy.
--
Tekkie

posted for all of us...

you're worried about bleach on your car,yet used acetone and lacquer thinner?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, I could control and test these in very small areas and amounts. You are confusing me with the general idiots, I just don't poor the quart on then let it fly. Soft Scrub does splatter, even in small amounts.
Don't assume I am an idiot.
--
Tekkie

posted for all of us...

Don't be so hypersensitive. IMO,you're the one ASSuming...
It's just that even a drip or splash of the solvents could damage your paint. Bleach won't.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Monday, February 6, 2012 at 12:55:16 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I had this same problem on interior and exterior. Tried every non-lethal th ing I owned. None of them worked. Found a review of a product from Griot's Garage and it worked. Griot's Garage 6" Glass Polishing Pad along with Grio t's glass polishing liquid removed the remains of a RainX windshield sealer that was distorting my vision during rain storms. Pad and polishing liquid required 30 minutes work and I now no longer have the problem. Great prod uct - found them on Amazon but can buy them direct from Griot's Garage too. Highly recommend them.
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 3:14:22 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

s Garage and it worked. Griot's Garage 6" Glass Polishing Pad along with Gr iot's glass polishing liquid removed the remains of a RainX windshield seal er that was distorting my vision during rain storms. Pad and polishing liqu id required 30 minutes work and I now no longer have the problem. Great pr oduct - found them on Amazon but can buy them direct from Griot's Garage to o. Highly recommend them.
Your answer is 4 years overdue...he's already sold the car.
On 6/2/2016 3:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.
On 6/2/2016 8:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 7:39:57 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why is that? Ed only replied as you often do (Ed is abit funnier though) trying to be absurd. Rain-X is great stuff (oh wait, that's foam in a can?). It's the only thing that will get you by, with no wipers!
On 6/2/2016 8:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I know a EE that used a Brillo pad on his car hood to remove some tree sap.
To his credit, he was smart enough to stop rubbing when he got to the primer.
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 8:39:57 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Whoops, you forgot something.
Re: Removing Rain-X from car windshield (The helpfulness of a.h.r posters)