Removing Rain-X from car windshield

e.- Hide quoted text -

So, with all the different sized wipers available based on year/make/ model and driver/passenger side, you were able to find a pair of wipers in the garbage that not only fit your car but were still in good enough shape to last 2 years?

Color me skeptical.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Somebody else said rubbing alcohol. How's it work with just washing fluid? I use that often anyway, out of the spritzers. I'm not getting this. Seems the rubber wiper edges would have to get reconditioned somehow to go evenly along the glass again, and not streak.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I said to use rubbing alcohol. As a matter of fact some of the wiper blades I've bought had a alcohol wipe included.

Reply to
Ron

I'll give rubbing alcohol a try next time the blades give me trouble.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

I never had a problem in the desert, then was thinking how much I used them. After two years my paint was going bad, and hoses under the hood started going bad.

I used aa heavily on my tires, they started cracking after a year.

It's hard to tell what the blades are made of. Might be vinyl. Maybe a vinyl conditioner. I usually like to wax my windshields to.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I did not read all the posts on this but I wanted to remove it from the outside because I didn't like it. I called the factory. According to them it forms a bond with the glass. They stated the only thing that will remove it is either BonAmi window cleaner ("never scratches") or Clorox Soft Scrub. Scrub is the keyword. I used the lemon scented as I did not want bleach around the car.

I tried alcohol, lacquer thinner, silicone remover, acetone, all kinds of miracle glass cleaners - all no joy.

Reply to
Tekkie®

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news20.forteinc.com:

you're worried about bleach on your car,yet used acetone and lacquer thinner?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Yes, I could control and test these in very small areas and amounts. You are confusing me with the general idiots, I just don't poor the quart on then let it fly. Soft Scrub does splatter, even in small amounts.

Don't assume I am an idiot.

Reply to
Tekkie®

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news20.forteinc.com:

Don't be so hypersensitive. IMO,you're the one ASSuming...

It's just that even a drip or splash of the solvents could damage your paint. Bleach won't.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I had this same problem on interior and exterior. Tried every non-lethal th ing I owned. None of them worked. Found a review of a product from Griot's Garage and it worked. Griot's Garage 6" Glass Polishing Pad along with Grio t's glass polishing liquid removed the remains of a RainX windshield sealer that was distorting my vision during rain storms. Pad and polishing liquid required 30 minutes work and I now no longer have the problem. Great prod uct - found them on Amazon but can buy them direct from Griot's Garage too. Highly recommend them.

Reply to
broush01

thing I owned. None of them worked. Found a review of a product from Griot' s Garage and it worked. Griot's Garage 6" Glass Polishing Pad along with Gr iot's glass polishing liquid removed the remains of a RainX windshield seal er that was distorting my vision during rain storms. Pad and polishing liqu id required 30 minutes work and I now no longer have the problem. Great pr oduct - found them on Amazon but can buy them direct from Griot's Garage to o. Highly recommend them.

Your answer is 4 years overdue...he's already sold the car.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, and I bought the car. Getting the Rain-X off was really rather easy. I used 80 grit paper in a belt sander and it took seconds to get rif of it. Another advantage is the car is not as hot since the sun no longer penetrates the glass. I use a periscope to see where I am going.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I love how people on this group are so kind and helpful for each other. Restores my confidence in humanity.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why is that? Ed only replied as you often do (Ed is abit funnier though) trying to be absurd. Rain-X is great stuff (oh wait, that's foam in a can?). It's the only thing that will get you by, with no wipers!

Reply to
bob_villain

I know a EE that used a Brillo pad on his car hood to remove some tree sap.

To his credit, he was smart enough to stop rubbing when he got to the primer.

Reply to
Roy Biggins

Whoops, you forgot something.

Re: Removing Rain-X from car windshield (The helpfulness of a.h.r posters)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I noticed the same thing on my 2018 vehicle that came with Crystal Fusion with the first application free. It made my wipers shudder and shake and seemed to do more harm than good. I did not renew it. I wonder how long that crap lasts and if after two years it's still there? Is there any solvent you can use to get rid of it? I would not recommend this to anyone.

Reply to
dpuraty

Vinegar.

Google is very wise:

Rain-X is a commercial formula used to repel water, rain, and snow from glass. To remove Rain-X, first mix equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Then, spray the solution onto your glass and rub it in with a cloth. Once you've gotten rid of the Rain-X, use a new dry cloth to wipe away any residue.

Reply to
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote

Defog, Defogger(vehicle climate control mode)

As far as inside windshield defog/defrost sprays are concerned, I call GIMMICK. Rain-X externally works well for me. I use it on all fixed glass and plastic(headlamp, taillight) surfaces on my cars, and on topside of moonroofs.

Reply to
thekmanrocks