Removing Rain-X from car windshield

Page 1 of 3
I put some Rain-x on my windshield on the outside. I noticed they sell one bottle for the outside of the window and one for the inside. I figured they just wanted to sell two bottles and it's the same stuff. It works fine on the outside. Rather than do the whole inside, I thought I'd try it first and only did 1/4 of the windshield. I guess the outside type dont work too well inside. When it's cold, the part with the Rain-x gets all fogged up, while the rest of the window dont. Worse yet, it's really hard to wipe off the fog, or whatever is the correct word for that. (It's not cold enough to be frost, but it's fogged up with moisture).
I guess I just have to remove it from that 1/4 th of the window. Anyone know what will remove it?
Thanks

at you Rx Alcohol 91%
just do not get it on your paint.......
--
Disallow: /

Fogging or freezing on the inside of the car is most easily solved by the following 1) Use a (inside) glass cleaner like Windex, and clean the glass so it's spotless (Remember to really buff it with a dry towel -it's an important step) Clean glass on the inside is a MUST to reduce the risk of condensation. 2) When you get into a cold car, crack a back window open and start up your fan on defrost to start air moving on the inside of the windshield as well as the cabin. Try to leave your door open till until after you have started the motor and cranked up the fan. Keep this up until you are getting warm air, at which point you can start shifting where the air is sent You are generating humid air by breathing and it will automatically hit the glass as condensation. The open window lets out warm moist air, and lets in cooler dryer air. 3) If you have tracked snow or rain into the car, keep the air moving and the window cracked to reduce the risk of condensation, until the water has been eliminated
On 2/6/2012 10:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

it says on the label.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

91% isopropyl like HT said, or a citrus type cleaner (Goo-Gone).

Best thing to do is not to use the shit in the first place on a windshield.
Fine for all the other glass, but not on a WS.

Yep. It's made for "high speed driving". If you have good/new wiper blades they will wipe the windshield completely dry on the first swipe leaving no lubrication (a wet windshield) on the return swipe which will cause the wiper blades to bounce/chatter. And once the Rain-X starts wearing off, it gets even worse. It works great if you never change your wiper blades.

Please see my other post where I dispute the claims you've made, at least as far as the washer fluid/Rain-X mix is concerned.
http://rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Washer_Fluids/De-Icer.aspx

I've used it many times on the outside of the WS and it works fine. I've never had any problems with wipers or anything else. I just never tried it inside, and now I know not to do that again.
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:13:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

That may be true if you reapply it often but years ago I read up on it and most didn't like it on the outside. I also tried it years ago and when new, it was fine but found that when it begins to wear off, it makes a mess. I don't remember what I used to get it off but I did get it off.
In wrote:

Dunno what you had, but it wasn't rain-x. As it wears off all that happens is the water droplets start forming again on the glass just as before you put it on and views became obstructed again. Eventually it does no good and you're right back to before you used it. READ the container and use according to directions.
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:48:48 -0500, "Twayne"

No it was Rain-X. I definitely remember putting it on. I recall seeing smears after some weeks and decided to remove it.
In wrote:

Ah, that explains it; the glass has to be near perfectly clean before it[s applied as indicated on the container or you'll capture the dirt in the rain-x. There could be other reasons too but that'd be my guess; it's the most frequent mistake people make. Rain-x is not a cleaner.
HTH,
Twayne`
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:28:19 -0500, "Twayne"

No no... the car had just be cleaned as well as the windows. I was / am aware Rain-x is not a cleaner. As I said, it worked fine in the beginning but after some time (not sure how much now) it began to make smear marks when I used my wipers. Of course I could have cleaned the windows again and re-applied it but the worst time to have smear marks is when it's raining. Hence I wasn't going to have that happen again.

Yeah Bob I don't remember how long it took me to get it off but I remember I wasn't a happy camper and that's why I never used the stuff again.

People have been arguing about Rain-X working or not working for years. I never used it. Windshield wipers were always good enough for me. Kind of related to that is waxing appliances. Years ago, I got caught up in that Amway stuff for a couple months. They had a liquid silicone wax, and the guy who got me into Amway recommended using it on appliances and bath tubs. It's all common sense that wax is slick, and dirt won't stick well to it. But you have the labor of applying it, and "dressing" or removing it. So whatever works best for you. Me, I don't like the labor part, so I don't use any of it.
--Vic

I paid a bunch for crystal fusion application, but I guess it wears,and they give you a reapplication. I know it works well new. What made me buy it, I got doused with a passer by going down a road at 40 mph, and I was so startled it took time to register, turn on the dam wipers. I was totally blinded by brown water.
I applied regular rainx to my truck. Ok works well, except on a trip with heavy rain, the wipers had to use a lot more mechanical effort, and my wipers always growled after that experience. Never again. But, rainx windshield washer fluid works very well. Well, not good enough for that dousing of brown water I got!! You can get by diluting rainx washer fluid.
Greg

re: "I got doused with a passer by going down a road at 40 mph"
We were driving through Ohio in a large van a few years back.
As we approached the steep railroad underpass, we noticed a large puddle of water at the bottom of the dip. There was also a car approaching from the other direction. The driver of our van slowed down as he approached the puddle, but that resulted in both our van and the other vehicle reaching the puddle at the same time.
It wasn't until the very last second that we saw that the driver's window on the other car was down. Picture it: a large van going through a big puddle right next to the open window of a lower riding car. Which vehicle would you rather be in?
We saw the driver duck as we both went through the puddle. We were amazed that the driver maintained control as she swerved her way out of the underpass, most definitely soaked to the bone.
In wrote:

Anecdotes are always interesting. Once when we lived in Coronado CA we were drving n the expressway and a car passed us as though we were standing still, spewing oil all over the place. A police car brigade was right behnd him I realized shortly, as I heard the sirens going. It completeley coated the windshield and right-side windows so you couldn't see thru them. I hit the brakes and turned on my wpers and they did a good enough job I was able to let off the brakes and see where I was going. Not prefectly clean at first, but at least I could see thru it. Thought sure his engine must have been about to blow with all that lost oil, and drove a few exiits more but nevew saw anything further of him or the police cars. I never saw them comiing in the rear view they were moving so fast. Went home and turned on the TV news and had the car radio on; nothing.
HTH,
Twayne`

Which is why I use this:
http://rainx.com/Products/Windshield_Washer_Fluids/De-Icer.aspx