Removing peeling wall paint

Frame house constructed in 1954. Bathroom paint is peeling all the way down to bare drywall. Is there a better way to remove this than scratching and scraping? Are the bottom layers likely to be lead paint? Thanks.

1/4" drywall.

How do you finish DW that you install yourself?

With drywall primer and paint formulated for bathrooms. Access the USG website for PDF's of 'how to' for drywall installation, real good info.
Joe

With drywall primer and paint formulated for bathrooms. Access the USG website for PDF's of 'how to' for drywall installation, real good info.
Joe
OK, I'll check out the site. I was mostly wondering how to get the orange peel w/o hiring someone are using 10 cans of that *expensive* DIY crap in a can. I'm in the process of removing the wallpaper in my master bath, and it was applied to the unfinished DW. IOW, I'm gonna have a completely flat surface to work with after removing the WP.
Sand off what you can with something like a 1/3 sheet sander and use chemicals to get rid of the rest.

Might be easier to just replace the drywall. It is possible there is lead paint in the old paint. Knowing the reason the paint is peeling is important--leak? inadequate ventilation? Condensation?

I agree..Replace the drywall with moisture resistant drywall and install a bathroom vent fan the right size for the room...Lead paint and mold can't be good and it's a small room so there won't be much finishing if YOU PLAN AHEAD on joint placement.........IMHO.....Good luck.....
Davej wrote:

Tile it over.
--
Claude Hopper :)