Removing paper backing from old Plexiglas

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 5:51:51 PM UTC+2, Robert Green wrote:

Hi Bobby,
May you please advise of the brand of laquer thinner to use. I have very large sheets which I intend to use.
Thanks
Godfrey

Brand matters little. In years past, they were all ketone based, MEK, and worked pretty much that same. New air standards have changed the formula and most have soy methyl esters, ethylene glycol and stuff but most are similar. If the OP used a can that was a few years old, the formula has changed.
On 1/20/2015 8:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly! Buy some damn lacquer thinner, try it on a small area and see what happens. It either works or it doesn't. If it crazes the acrylic sheet you then know that it doesn't work. If it doesn't craze it and doesn't remove the paper are you any the worse off?

thinner to use. I have very large sheets which I intend to use.

Nov 2012. Wonder if he's still reading the usenet list?

I usta work at a US govt lab. We hadda lotta plexiglass and some was pretty old. The old paper backing in those days (80s) was near impossible to get off, after a certain age. We had a lotta solvents, etc, and tried 'em all. Stoddard's solvent (wht spirits) worked the best, but still required mucho elbo grease.
Even worse!! ....plain ol' masking tape on stainless steel, baked on for 2 mos in the CA Summer sun. Sorry! No solvents work. Jes a lotta guys with razor blade scrappers, also in the hot CA sun.
I've got some plexiglass from True Value. Now, seems to be covered with a see-thru plastic film cover. Comes right off on a piece that's 2 yrs old. Thank-you, whoever you are! ;)
nb
On Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 9:51:51 AM UTC-6, Robert Green wrote:

Naptha softens/dissolves most backing glues for me.
replying to Robert Green, John wrote: It actually works. Soak paper with lacquer thinner Allow to soak for 10 minutes then test peel. If not lifting, add another wipe of thinner. When paper lifts, peel back slowly and repeat till the end. Wipe off excess glue with thinner rag as you go....thank you so much... Cheers John

I'm not gonna dispute John's post, as I do not know what they are doing, now. But, waay back, we had some really old Plexiglass w/ some kinda brn paper protecting the surface.
Couldn't get it off. Tried everything and we hadda buncha choices. This at a govt lab that could get any solvent on the planet. We finally settled on Stodard's (mineral) solvent.
Still, this was many yrs ago. The last sheet of Plexiglass I bought had some sorta "clear" covering. Heck, it's peeling off on its own.
nb