removing painted-over wallpaper??? or other options?

the idiot people who owned my condo before me thought it was a great idea to attempt to peel off wallpaper and then give up when it got too hard.
they then painted OVER the wallpaper. you can clearly see where the wallpaper came off and where it stuck firm.
it looks awful, and I've been avoiding dealing with it. I can't take it anymore, though, because they painted the walls a sick pea-soup green. and I've lived with the green this far, because I don't want to paint over the wallpaper again. but, at the same time, I don't know how to prepare the walls.
any advice? Thanks.

redrywall
Call a few professional "Wallpaper Removers" for an estimate. Yellow Pages: Wall Coverings - Contractors)
--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

You could do a textured coating over everything to camophlage (I cant spellll) the whole thing. A venetian plaster or a stucco type would work well. If you want smooth walls, like one person said redrywall, 1/4" or mud the bad areas, and then hang a wallpaper liner paper, seal that with an oil base primer and where the seams show mud those and you are ready to paint, looks like new drywall only not retrimming out of all your moldings.
Mickey