Removing Paint From Fireplace Brick

The dining room in my house has a fireplace that has been painted white. The plans that I have for the room don't include a white fireplace so I am looking for suggestions as to the best way to remove the paint. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks - Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

Are you talking about brick being painted white or the fireplace mantle??
Grim
--
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!

Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington

You could sandblast the brick, but you must be warned that this is a very,very messy job. You will have to seal off every possible source where air can leave the room. You will have to tarp the floor to protect it. You can rent the equipment and all the protective gear, it will take practice as to not damage the brick. The sand or beads you choose to blast with is not cheap, but can be swept, filtered for large particles and reused, but it will no longer be very effective.
Its a major pain.
Hire someone to do it at a good amount of money, paint it again, or maybe grind the paint off the brick and use new brick or synthetic fieldstone veneers.
Grim
--
Aint No Stinkin Viruses Here!

This comes up quite a lot. It's a hell of a job that isn't often very successful--all those pits and crannies to clean out! Maybe find a color you like and repaint the brick? (How about brick colored?)
My wife used paint stripper to remove the paint from two differnet fireplaces. It was a lot of work with perhaps a dozen reapplicaitons of stripper followed by scrubbing with a brass brush.
She succeeded in removing most of the paint, but there is a faint white haze that I doubt can ever be removed. It isn't perfect, but it looks much better than it did and I think my wife thinks the work was worth the effort.

Did you check out www.removall.com? They have formulas specifically designed for brick. And before you ask, no I've never tried it. This Old House used it at the Winchester project on wood and *loved* it though.
Good luck whatever you choose, Nicole