removing old toilet question- dont want to install new one just yet..

Page 2 of 2

Or, use one bag that is waterproof and stuff it with old newspapers, rags, or anything else that isn't alive.

Better would be that condom in your wallet since high school. Finally, a use for it.

A rag usually does the trick for me but I realize sewer gas can be a bigger problem some places than it is in others.
I find that an empty plastic soda bottle partially filled with water works well. Can't recall right this minute but feel pretty sure it was a 20 ounce one.
Then if you still smell or feel anything add a little duct tape.
Colbyt
Doubles as surgical anaesthetic technique. Hmm. Patient looks uncomfortable. More duct tape around the gas mask.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Loved it.
KOS wrote the following:

Duct tape, and put a piece of wood, or an empty bucket over the hole to prevent people from stepping into the hole.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If you have a large plastic lid to a Crisco can or a large coffee can that will work. That's what I use.

Go to the hardware store or plumbing outlet and ask for a plug...They make them just for that purpose...You can also get one for your sink pipe...Seen them MANY times on jobsites...HTH...

If the toilet is in the basement and you have problems with water backing up then tie the rag to a rope before shoving it in the hole. It is possible that the rising water can suck the rag into the pipe and then you could have major problems.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:11:31 -0800 (PST), KOS

If you're not going to be stepping on it some duck tape will seal it good enough.