Removing old tamper proof fuse adapter

I have an old fuse box in my house that has one tamper proof fuse adapter....it requires the type s fuse. I would like to remove the adapter so I can use the standard more easily found fuses for that socket. Is there a way to remove the adapter....it appears that don't easily come out once they are put in place. I think there is some sort of barb in the adapter ....
Bob Jones wrote:

There is a special tool that allows removal; probably won't find one anymore. My advice: leave the adapter in and stock up on S fuses. You *may* be able to pry the adapter out but you risk damaging the fuseholder.
Jim
Thanks. I didn't realize that home depot still stocks them. Since the fuse holder is plastic of some sort and I not going to force it. I think a thin piece of metal might slip between the adapter and the fuse holder allowing me to keep the barb from doing its job.

adapter
there
once
adapter
They are difficult to remove. I have done it, and it takes a good hour or more. You need to be very careful or you will wreck the fuse holder. The adaptors are porcelain, and need to be carefully broken apart. If you got 4 fuses or more, you may spend half a day removing them, so the cost of the removal tool may be worth it.
However, type S fuses are common and should be easy to find. I only remved the adaptors so I could use those screw in breakers, which are well worth the money for the cost of fuses these days.

adapter
there
There is a valid reason for having the tamper proof adapter. Obviously it is so you don't "overfuse" the circuit. Type S fuses are readily available. You might want to investigate why you need to frequently replace that fuse and address that issue. If you remove the S insert someone might be inclined to just use a 30 Amp fuse....