Removing OLD Rainbird

Hi, I have an old Rainbird Sprinkler head on a galvanized pipe. Both the are 50 years old. Cannot determine model number. Sprinkler still works but may have weak springs.
My question is about removing the sprinkler head from the galvanized pipe. Does the rainbird unscrew counter clockwise or clockwise? I've been spraying chainsaw penetrating oil in the copper galvanized joint for days and it won't loosen.
What else can I do to remove that sprinkler without damaging the rainbird or pipe and threads? Is there a better penetrating product?
Thanks, Dave_s
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 06:23:59 -0700, Dave-s wrote:

Likely counterclockwise but I'd bet after 50 years it's well seized. I use PB Blaster with good results so maybe grab a can if it's available in your area.
Dave-s wrote:

Just standard pipe thread -- right hand -- "righty tighty, ..."
Heat on the outside coupling will help. Bigger wrench. If it's old galvanized be prepared to start replacing back farther and farther until you've replaced it all.
Sounds like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to me...

I've never heard of chainsaw penetrating oil and afaik the distinguishing feature of chain oil and chain saw oil is that it is waxy and doesn't fly off the chain as quickly. It seems to me like the opposite of a penetrating oil.
I think that, like they say, no matter what, you may breake the pipes. Any chance of rebuilding the head while it is on the pipe? Lay a big sheet or 3 around the pipe, on the grass to catch any parts that go flying.
Although the sprinkler still works.

If you have to use penetrating oil on your chain saw something is very wrong with the way you take care of your power equipment.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007