removing old glue from vynal

Prior to my buying the house someone glued carpet to old sheet vynal in kitchen. I am soon to sell house and want kitchen to look good. I am willing to do decent job so as not to screw buyer. Planed to lay mid line vinyl tile over old sheet. However, after pulling up rug a layer of glue ridges was left on old vinyl. I can remove it before putting down new tiles but need to use a paint scraper and much time to get it smooth. Tried palm sander with 60 grit paper and it took longer.

Removers mostly have methelene chloride and are noted to be destructive to vinyl.

Is there a fast way to get all the dreck off? Thought to rermove old Vinyl but it is held down by super tar like black adhisive. So as it is not textured I just want to cover it.

Louis

Reply to
louis

Here's a couple things that worked for me:

Used my router with a bit that had bottom cutting capability and set it to just touch floor level. Swept it back and forth over the lumpy stuf with a shop vac handy and it cleaned off the lumps pretty quickly.

Another job with soft gloppy stuff was removed (but somewhat slowly) by one of the 3M adhesive removers. They have several that work well without attacking automotive plastics, finshes and such, so the vinyl was spared in that case. There are other commercial removers that might work, such as Goof-off. Head for your Ace hardware and spend some time reading labels and odds are you'll find something that will save you time and effort. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst