Removing old flooring over vinyl tile

I have an older home whose previous owner installed this hideous parquet flooring over vinyl tile. Given the age of the home (nearly 40 years old) I'm almost positive the vinyl tile contains asbestos.
My question is can I remove the flooring above the vinyl without concern? Of course, I will add an underlayment over the vinyl again and install ceramic tile.
HELP!