Removing Oil Stains from concrete driveway?

I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there was some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser to break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area of driveway left stained.
What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ??
Thanks for any tips !!
--James--
James Nipper wrote:

There are products specifically made for this. You can find them at HD, etc, usually in the area where they have driveway coating products. Whether any of them work better than what you already tried, I don't know. Since oil soaks in, if it's accumulated for a long time, it may not be possible to completely remove it.
Try a small amount of bleach brush in one spot to see if it makes a difference.
Try some mechanics hand soap... specifically the one that has pumice in it. Most hardware stores sell it in a gallon pump jug. The best one to get has natural orange in it. It smells like fresh oranges and its gritty and creamy. All you do is poor it on thick and scrub, and then rinse off afterwards with a garden hose. It's also environmentally safe.
I swear it will take the dirt or grease off damn near anything. Just to give you an idea of it's power...I had a white shower stall floor with stains that would not come out with any household product that my wife tried...including bleach, etc...So as a last ditch effort, I tried the mechanics soap with a small brush and scrubbed. It worked, the shower stall looked like brand new when done.
I think it has 1000 possible uses as a cleaner...good luck.
Grind cat litter over the surface with a block of wood.

| > | > I had a car oil leak for a long while. I got rid of the car, but there | > was | > some oil accumulation underneath where it was parked. I used a degreaser | > to | > break up the oil, which did a good job. Of course , there is a wide area | > of driveway left stained. | > | > What is a good product to remove the remaining oil stains ?? | > | > Thanks for any tips !! | > | > | > --James-- | > | > | |
TSP - Tri Sodium Phosphate - a stiff brush and lots of elbow grease.
-- PDQ
honestly, the cat litter is a good idea. once i created an oil stain on a customer's driveway and i tried expensive concrete cleaners, etc. Finally what worked(to an acceptable level, nothing is going to completely remove old oil stains) was, first i used bleach and a pressure sprayer, then i used kitty litter(or equivalent) and crushed it over the stain to help blend the stain in with the existing concrete
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:00:49 -0500, "James Nipper"

Not really. The classic cleanup is to use cheap clay kitty litter. Crush it into the concrete while wearing heavy boots. Sweep it up the next day. The longer the oil sat on the concrete, the deeper the stain will be. Try using the de greaser again. A pressure washer is a good tool to clean concrete. Aren't concrete driveways supposed to have stains???
had that occur years ago to a rental, tried my best couldnt get it all. sold rental awhile ago, the stain is slowly fading.
most you can do is minimize it.
a word to the wise seal your driveway BEFORE it gets stained, saves tons of grief later
we used degreaser/sanitizer SPRAY NINE by the gallon, let it soak in, hose away later, repeat. some home depot's carry it.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:00:49 -0500, "James Nipper"

What kind of driveway? What's it made out of?

Dry powdered concrete works wonders. Spread it over the satin and let it sit, sweep it up and the stains should be removed.

-
I heard that after you use cat litter or saw dust, to put dry cement on it and let it site for a day or two before sweeping it up. It is supposed to pull the stain out better
Thanks for all the helpful replies !!!!
--James--
Hi James, Written privately to you three times, yet haven't gotten a response from you, Mark