Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

I've got this wok from WalMart that's coated with Xylan, which I gather is a first cousin of Teflon. Big mistake. It's non-stick properties aren't very good.
I don't like the idea of simply throwing it out and dumping more money into a non-coated wok. I'm sure I could strip the coating off with one of these fibrous abrasive wheels that you bolt onto a hand drill - wearing a dust mask of course - but is the surface that's exposed going to be suitable for cooking? Wondering if there's some pre- treating that's done to the metal that might render it toxic if used as a cooking surface.
Further, should it be possible to thoroughly remove all the coating abrasively like that? Obviously I don't want to leave behind small particles since I assume it's toxic.
Thanks

Sell it, give it away, etc. Get yourself a nice heavy wok with sturdy handles. You'll find better quality at a kitchen or specialty store, and it will be the last wok you buy. Always prep a wok with a high-temperature cooking oil before adding the food. Peanut oil is a good choice. Woks work better with natural gas stoves.

We may ALL be commuting to work in carts, soon enough. BAD metaphor. Bad bad bad.
--
Steal This Blog!
http://www.gay-bible.org/steal

What an asinine comment. The dodo who wrote it would apparently reject any cooking/kitchen technique that is not "modern" such as cooking over wood, using knives made in the traditional Japanese manner, or using a baking stone.
--
Peter Aitken

makes
heat
On
current
And you can't beat a well broken in and seasoned cast iron pan for non-stick. I love them for eggs and things like that.
Cheri
"I'll continue to use my Teflon pans for the tasks for which they're suited, my stainless-steel pans for their tasks, and my cast iron when it's suitable.
Cindy Hamilton"
It's a free country.
The BIG danger in using them is when you accidentally overheat them. The fumes that come off can do a JOB on your lungs. That's happened to me WAY back when I was single. I ended up with a "cold" that resulted in my missing a week of work.
I do a lot of cooking. While I wish I had some good iron pans, the SS pans (with Al sandwich or Cu bottom) serve quite well for most things.
I still use a smal "non-stick" for omlets. My SS "omlet" pan just doesn't even come close to the "non-stick".

You mean like getting drunk and deciding to cook and "rest" while it's heating?

s.teranews.com:

That's just evolution in action. Culling the stupid out of the herd. Preferably before they breed.
Cindy Hamilton

Says the man who has never burned anything in a pan?
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:42:20 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

They had to take Scotchguard off the market while they created a new formulation due to this problem. It has long been known by those who keep birds that teflon cookware gives off fumes that even in tiny amounts will kill all of their birds.
On Apr 17, 3:02pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I remember that. When I heard it was going off the market, I went out and bought a bunch of Scotchgard.
Cindy Hamilton
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:31:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Good. I wouldn't want Darwin to be discredited.

Just in case someone decided to come home with a bird for a pet?

Just in case the new stuff wasn't worth a damn, as environmentally correct replacements so often are. IIRC it was not birds but the ozone layer that was at risk from Scotchgard.
Cindy Hamilton
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:07:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Nope. It was determined to be directly harmful to humans.
I think you should drink some.

If one has to have multiple peer-reviewed articales in front of them before considering potential health risks, good for them. My criteria are a little less restricting, as my health is important to me.

My quotes work fine, except for posts grom google-groups. If you know how to fix that, please let me know.
I did put in a row of *** to seperate my response.