Removing non-silicone caulk

I need to recaulk my tub. I think the caulk there now is all-purpose polyseamseal, which has no silicone. Aside from using a tool to dig the caulk out, is there anything I should do? Some web pages mention using a blow dryer or heat gun to soften it up. Is that useful? Also, is there any solvent I could use? I think the tub is fiberglass, and the wall is tile.
TIA,

Hmm...looks good, though I'm now a little leary to use a solvent because the tub is probably either plastic or fiberglass. I might end up having to use just a knife, or knife + heat gun, which sucks. Oh well.
Thanks for the informative replies.
Cheers,