Removing Mold From Plywood Deck HELP

I just finished remodeling a house. The outside deck has sat without a finish surface for about 2 years. A rubber membrane surface was painted on the plywood deck and then an aggregate coat was floated on top. Well the guy who did it did not tape the seams properly and it started to leak a few weeks ago with the bad rains in southern california. I have been waiting for the deck to dry out enough to bring someone else in to finish it. Well the other day I noticed some discoloration under the deck on the plywood and thought it was water stains but it is dark and probably is mold or fungus and I am not sure what to do. I assume it would be a good idea to remove it if possible prior to the topside of the deck being finished so that if there is any mold between the joints of the plywood it can be treated if possible. I have read that bleach doesn't really do a good job at removing or killing this. It is now wet as it rained today. I don't want to infect myself with the spores. Is there anything I can spray on it that is safe to use? I have maybe a half of a dozen pathches or streaks. One area is maybe 2-3 ft square the rest are smaller. But if I wait until the rains stop and things dry out to deal with it it may have grown alot more. Is it better to deal with it wet or dry? To tear the deck down and incur the cost of rebuilding would be a financial nightmare for me right now. Once the mold is removed or treated is it a pretty good bet that it will stop growing. I don't want dryrot growing in a deck for obvious reasons? And I was considering govering the underside of the deck with stucco at some point. I guess I should paint and leave it open to observe it over time? Any adivice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Michael Roback

If it is mold, use and EPA registered fungicide....If you Google around, I am sure you can find one....Or just head over to the local Lowes/Home Depot and they will be glad to help.....Good Luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Rubber coated plywood deck? Why? What is under it?

If it got to your deck, it got to you. Mold and mildew float around everywhere.

Is the area beneath the deck open to circulating air? That would probably help it dry out once it stops raining. Don't worry about the mold under the deck unless you are living there. Worry about falling through the rotting wood when you walk on the deck :o)

Reply to
Norminn

"Michael Roback" wrote

Well, if you are that concerned, you can have a laboratory examine a sample, to indicate what you've got. Not all molds are created equal. Read about stachybotrys

That you are "on it" tells me you won't have expensive damage to repair.

Reply to
John B

Bleach works just fine but the mold is there for a reason and unless you change the conditions it will come right back, mold needs food and water and shade to live. Did you use marine or treated wood if not in 3-10 years it will probably be half rotted away. Using ply wood for an exterior deck is not a good idea, any trapped water will not dry out.

Reply to
m Ransley