Removing linoleum

Page 2 of 2  
George wrote:

Uh, insulation being applied to ships and locomotives is not a "commercial product" in the sense that brake pads and flooring are "commercial products".
My mother was an executive secretary Johns-Manville for many years. She sat on it, wrote on it, tossed trash in it, walked on it, the offices were a showplace for asbestos. While she did die of cancer she was 90 years old at the time and it was not any of the kinds of cancer that the do-gooders claim are caused by asbestos.
This is another case where our society is allowing professional do-gooders to scare us to death. Yes, it is a health hazard for those who work with it ever day. For some guy pulling up the flooring in his house once in a lifetime, not so much.
--
--
--John
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Tell that to the former shareholders of the old Keene Corporation of which I was one.
Even if has never been proven, why would I or you take a chance with another person's health.
Pardon my bluntness. Your post was just plain dumb and un-informed.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Colbyt wrote:

Keene got sued by thousands of "free money" plaintiffs because Keene manufactured stuff out of asbestos. Blame the trial lawyers, not asbestos.
I'm sorry you lost your investment, but so did the shareholders of Dow-Corning after the breast implant fiasco. Both of you suffered, but not as much as the children that DIE because of unfounded concerns over Thimerisal or (principally in eastern Africa) Polio vaccine. Or, more specifically, those that died in the WTC attacks. Consider:
WTC North Tower: Hit 8:46 a.m. - collapsed 10:28 a.m. WTC South Tower: Hit 9:03 a.m. - collapsed 9:59 a.m.
The North Tower stood for one hour and forty-two minutes while the South Tower survived for only fifty-six minutes. The difference? The North Tower's structural members were insulated with asbestos, the South Tower with potato starch or something similar.

First, because I don't give a fig about another person's health. Second, my mission in life is to confront dogma based on "feelings" rather than fact, thirdly, I'm not taking a chance on another's health - they can make their own decision when provided with the truth.
Your point - about Keene - is, however, well founded. If the OP digs up asbestos he may very well be the subject of an financially ruining lawsuit brought be a neighbor.

I forgive you.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 07:49:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Rent an electric floor stripper. It's like a big motorized putty knife that is very sturdy, very sharp and oscillates back and forth very fast. It rolls on two wheels with the blade extending out the front. Works very well on concrete. With a sharp blade, it will get up almost all the old adhesive as well as all the lino.
Be aware that some old lino contains asbestos. If yours does then better to leave it and lay the new floor over it.
HTH,
Paul F.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 27, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

I tiled over my linolium seven years ago with no problem. I started to try to get the linolium up and my bro in law told me it was a waste of time. I think I'd still be trying to get that stuff up. Don't waste your time.
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Dec 27, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

Back in the '60s we (once) used a Bernz-O-Matic to heat the tiles and soften the old mastic for scraping. Worked pretty good... until as the last tiles were being heated and the flame reached across that tile to the "bare" floor the room burst into flames.
So, if you're going to do it that way, I'd recommend plenty of ventilation.
Linoleum doesn't require much in the way of adhesive, since it's as flat on the bottom as the top. If you can just scape up the tiles and any boogers the leftover mastic should be easy to bury in whatever adhesive you plan to use. -----
- gpsman
Add pictures here
✖
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.