Removing linoleum

Page 1 of 2
I have tiled our master bedroom with ceramic tiles to replace an old carpet, and it came out looking very nice. Now I need to do the same with the master bathroom, and there is my problem. The current floor is a two-layered vinyl. The bottom layer is linoleum glued to the cement slab and the top one is self-stick tiles. Now I know I can peel off the self-stick tiles by applying heat (using an iron on top of a towel or a hair dryer). My question is: What is the easiest way to remove the linoleum? Thanks.

If you can get the stick on tiles off you can tile over the original lino. getting the lino off the slab plain and simple is just hard work. If your worried about the tile sticking I replaced all the tile in my kitchen/ dinning area about 300 sq. ft. It was glued on lino on piratical board underlayment I only got 2 12X12 tiles off in one piece so it will stick to lino. I not sure if trying to tile over stick on tiles is wise.If you are going to use the same tile you might have to remove the lion to keep the height the same. if it's a small area a good scraper , 54" coat and a 6" hat .
just leave it.

Never leave it as it can start to peel after the fact and ruin the entire do it right or not at all
it can't peel with heavy ceramic tile on it.
Never leave it as it can start to peel after the fact and ruin the entire do it right or not at all
snipped-for-privacy@uark.edu wrote:

If you've got an air compressor, a scraper kit will do a pretty good job. Like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber826
You can try a long-handled scraper (about $30.00).
Once you get it down to the dregs, a belt sander with a coarse grit should remove most of the still-stuck stuff and level the surface.
Absent compelling reasons to the contrary, I'd leave the original linoleum in place.
good luck with that belt sander idea....... that belt will be clogged within about 4 revolutions.

LOL! i hear ya.

Steve Barker wrote:

Eek! You're right. I was thinking about sex.
Probably a wire brush or Propane torch would help.
Damn! Thinking about sex again.

propane torch on concrete BAM concrete expoldes violently, I fopunf this out one day when my torch fell over
it takes a fairly long (minute or more) burn to do that. And it's not that violent...

Never had to keep the torch on the ants that long. They would start popping pretty quick. Just move on to another spot.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:14:25 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

What is a " fopunf"? Never heard the term, before.

found out

Knowing the age of the home might help get a better answer.
It is going to depend on a couple things: The quality of the vinyl and the type of glue used to install it.
Sometimes it rips right up and other times it becomes a project you wish you never started.
If it was installed in the last 30 years it is most like glued down with a water based glue and the removal process is much easier.
Get the lino off and soak the floor and let it sit then scrape it up.
Unless you are absolutely certain that it modern vinyl DO NOT use a sander. They really old stuff contained asbestos.
I always do things the "hard way" and would never lay tile over vinyl. Backerboard over vinyl and then tile I would do. But you have concrete down there waiting for a bond with the thinset. No backerboard needed.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

So? There has never been a proven case of any deleterious effect caused by any commercial asbestos product. This includes the dust from brake pads.
HeyBub wrote:

Really? tell that to the folks who got cancer because they worked in shipyards and locomotive shops where asbestos was used as insulation.
And to think someone thought you were just a gadfly...
George wrote:

Be glad to do so. But there aren't any. At least none have been found.
Oh, there have been people who got cancer AND worked in shipyards, but they got cancer because they got cancer and not BECAUSE they worked in shipyards or around asbestos. I'm sure some would disagree (i.e., trial lawyers) just as there are those who believe in the deleterious effects of silicone breast implants, flouridation, and thimerisol.

I'm not JUST a gadfly. I can also wiggle my nose (but only for private audiences).

And you have proof of that? Of course not, but it is interesting how cases of Mesothelioma have been related to asbestos environments. Asbestos is a silent killer which leaves no early symptoms of detection. By the time detection has occurred, it's too late. But of course, people get cancer because they just get cancer. Good thing you're not a doctor. Though, I can make a fairly good guess at what you really are.