Removing last of the carpet tack strips

The evil carpet installer used way too much glue on some of the tack strips. I pried up most of them but some broke through and have left about 2 or 3 mm worth of wood and glue sticking to the concrete.

No they're not nailed into the concrete and the nails in the tack strips I removed just fine.

I'll be laying down moisture barrier, foam padding and then bamboo veneer snaplock after that. I imagine the surface needs to be reasonably level? I'm not sure how much I can get away with leaving on the concrete.

The glue seems to be a yellow colour and kind of gummy like chewing gum. Alone I can get it off the concrete at least.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Melanie

Reply to
Melanie

I used an old paint scraper for this. I could get it under the edge of the tack strip, then use a hammer to drive it in under the rest of the stip and pry it off.

HTH,

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Thanks, I ran out and bought a scraper. What I did was take the paint stripper-scraper and hit it with the hammer so it loosened the strip first, from the base. Then I used my crowbar and hammered that. Then I pried up as much of the wood as I could. Most of the time it just popped right out and then I used the scraper and hammer again to get up any leftovers.

I'm done now but at least I now know the trick to it when I get to the living room! Hope this makes sense for the next person who comes along and needs advice.

~Melanie

Reply to
Melanie