Removing Lacquer from Stone Fireplace

We recently purchased a home with a large stone fireplace. The fireplace had really large brass framed glass doors. The brass frame covered up about 4 inches of the rock all the way around. Before we moved into the house, we had the interior painted and a lot of the woodwork "refurbished" (e.g. the oak fireplace surround). For whatever reason, when they touched up the oak surround, the removed the fireplace doors, sprayed on a coat of some kind of clear coat (lacquer?) and then put the glass doors back on. My wife hates the brass/glass doors thing, so I removed it. The stone behind all of it is jet-black with soot. I'm going to buy some stone/brick fireplace soot remover/cleaner and try to clean it. My concern is that, since there is a coat of a lacquer over soot, I won't be able to get the soot off until I get the lacquer off and I don't know if the stone cleaner will remove the lacquer. What would I use to remove lacquer from stone? Thanks.
Dave wrote:

Laquer thinner?
On 27 Oct 2006 08:47:47 -0700, Dave wrote:

know is it is a clear coating, use paint remover. Paint remover contains stronger solvents (sometimes several) and will remove a variety of coatings.
Often, when you try to remove coatings from masonry with liquids, you only remove some of it and cause the remainder to penetrate deeper into the surface.