Removing Ivy from Wood Siding

We've pulled most of it off, and have just the remnants of the suckers. This stuff essentially began to grow IN to the wood. The house was painted a few years ago, but will need it again soon. What's the best way to get this residue off?

And, is there a better way to get the living ivy off, that might leave less residue? All we did was pull it from the bottom, then scrape the residue with a steel scraper.

Reply to
cybercat

We've had the best luck killing the stuff first with Roundup.

I think as ivy dies, it withers a bit and is easier to pull off.

Reply to
HeyBub

It also grows into mortar. With sufficient care, you can probably torch the dry tendrils and finish up by scraping or sanding.

I would cut the ivy at the ground, when growing season arrives. Then hit new sprouts when they have two or three leaves, with Roundup. It takes persistance, but you can (and should) get rid of it.

Reply to
Norminn

"cybercat" wrote in news:gh4bpj$5ik$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

I fought with that one. Fortunate part was house was to be repainted and siding was textured. Pull, scrape, wire brush, brush, whatever. No magic bullet.

It had also grown into the screens and attached to metal frame windows. Screening was just replaced. Found when I got it good and wet on metal frames and siding, it came off easier with scrubbing.

So, try wetting it so it's saturated a bit.

Reply to
Red Green

Will do. Thanks.

Reply to