removing insulating foam from clothing

Hi crew, My daughter was helping me install a window and got some of the insulating foam on her fleece shirt. It's the Great Stuff kind, comes in a can. Any one know a way of getting that stuff off? I guess a chemical but nothing I have seems to work. Thanks for any tips.

AS

Reply to
Aye Smith

Get the girl a new shirt. After all, she is obviously a good daughter. "great stuff" is not that great in a number of ways, one being the way it can overexpand and mess things up in unexpected ways, and another in that it is for all intents and purposes impossible to remove from fingers, clothes, etc. Now in reality, if she just washes the shirt regularly and wears it out in the sun a lot, the crap will degrade and flake off slowly. Right about the time the shirt is completely worn out, it will also be pretty free of dried goo.

Powerful solvents like lacquer thinner or xylene will soften the stuff, but they won't get it out of the fleece, and solvents like that may have some effect on the polyester fabric.

Reply to
donald girod

It should say somewhere on the can, but I believe acetone dissolves it. Unfortunately, acetone also harms polyester, so if it's a polyester fleece you may be out of luck. (Acetone won't dissolve cured polyester, but it can still soften/"melt" it to some degree.) A cotton or wool fleece should be relatively safe to treat this way, though.

You can always try removing it by "mechanical" means (scraping, cutting); hopefully it's not so deeply embedded in the fleece that this is ruled out.

-- Y.

Reply to
Yasashii Arbaito

Scraping a pair of jeans with a blade from a utility knife worked for me once. The scraping took off a slight bit of the jean material though. In your case it might leave a bald spot on the garment but it might be the only option. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Sounds all too familiar to me. Acetone is supposed to work, but didn't. Nothing I tried worked and we have a lot of different things to try. I liked that shirt, but it's a rag now.

Luckily, the haircut I had to get went better...

Reply to
montana

He's right. Just throw it away, next time wear old clothes.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard