Removing hutch from computer desk

Hi. I have a 15 year old O'sullivan computer desk with attached hutch. I'd like to remove the hutch, making the desk top flat again, giving me more usable desktop space. Unfortunately, I can't find the assembly diagram/instructions for this desk, and other than a few Torx screws, I don't see any other visible fasteners to remove to "release" the hutch from the top of the desk.

It definitely fastens to the top of the desk (it's not a single-piece desktop AND hutch), so it should be removable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the hutch may be attached to this desktop? Ever dis-assemble an O'Sullivan desk? Thanks.

Fr@nk

Reply to
fr

I put a few of them together about the same time you did. The screws are the key. There were/are several different methods used. There was a cam lever that locked into a receiver. About one turn of the screw releases these. Then another style had a threaded insert that received the screws. Wither way removing the screws should hurt nothing.

I suggest you look under the desk to see if there are any screws there that have been driven up into the hutch portion. If not just loosen and lift gently. You are unlikely to wind up with a "perfect" desktop but the space will be usable.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hey, thanks for the reply. I do remember those cams. But I don't see any exposed "heads" for those type of fasteners though. I've looked at it from every side. And the only screws visible from underneath the desktop I already removed. Those were plain phillips screws, BTW. I also removed four Torx screws (two from each end of the desk); they seem to go right into the edges of the privacy panel, yet removing them didn't release the panel. And the hutch still doesn't budge. Any other ideas for where those cam-fasteners might be hidden?

Fr@nk

Reply to
fr

Most RTA desks use something similar to this connector:

is unusual, usually it's a slotted or Philips head, but no matter. If you turn the all of the exposed screw heads to loosen them until they will turn no further, you should be able to lift the hutch straight up and off.

RicodJour

If yours is anything like the cheap particle board thing we've got, the fasteners are cunningly hidden all over the place. Sometimes on the inside of drawers, sometime on the edges of various panels, sometimes under trim pieces. A stud finder will tell you where the metal bits are, and from there it's just a matter of figuring out where the end is.

Reply to
Tim and Steph

Ah, stud finder! Great idea; thanks!

Fr@nk

Reply to
fr

Some of the desks I've assembled used double-stick tape to hold the hutch in place as well as the mechanical fasteners. Only way to find out if that's the case is to try and pry it apart. Unfortunately it most likely will pull up some of the vinyl wood grain from the substrate, unless you're lucky enough to have a plastic laminate desktop.

RicodJour

I also recall that some models had a wood or plastic dowel or two on each side. You may just need to pry gently. This stuff was well engineered for a price point item.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Googleing for "O'Sullivan desk" produces about 1000 hits. I didn't look at them, but its likely you could find an instruction sheet.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Yeah, I did that. Almost everything is either a commercial/sales site or for-sale site. I couldn't find a sheet, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
fr

I don't recall any stickers on the desk but if you have one this link might help.

I doubt they have the old stuff online.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I did say Torx, but I should've said Hex, sorry. The desk came with its own hex wrench to tighten those.

Yep, I remember lots of those cam type connectors. However, with this particular desk, considering how stubborn (and solidly-attached) the hutch is to move, I'm starting to recall it might've been attached with (mostly) wood pins and glue. I'm probably wasting my time looking for fasteners (and that's probably why I don't see any!). At this point, the quickest and easiest way to remove the hutch is probably going to be with my circular saw. Thanks for all the tips; I'll remember them for next time.

Fr@nk

Reply to
fr