Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

Page 2 of 2

Or an IR thermometer.

I guess we need the ladder to measure the air temp. Aim the thermometer at a piece of paper...
Nick
On 28 Jul 2006 05:34:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Why paper? Do you get false readings otherwise?
What should I beware of?

Maybe. You can't read an air temp with an IR thermometer, because air is transparent to low-temp IR radiation. If you aim an IR thermometer at an indoor surface, you will get the temp of the indoor surface, which may be warmer or cooler than the air temp. One way around that is to aim it at a piece of paper, ideally after waving the paper in the air to ensure it's close to the air temp, even if other surfaces exchange radiant energy with the paper.
Nick
RTFM. Some infared thermometers don't read well off shiny surfaces. Mine suggested a hit of masking tape,a nd then read the masking tape.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I'm sure that if the sun is shining on the windows you have heat coming in through them. Put shades or tinting on the windows.