removing hand truck wheel

Need to replace the tubeless tires on my hand truck with solid or foam-filled tires but I can't figure out how to remove the wheels without busting something or damaging the axle. Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lou

Reply to
Big_Lou

If it's under $100, consider buying a new one.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

These wheels are usually held on with either a cotter pin or a snap ring (E or C clip). I assume that you can't see any of these, so I suspect you have PAL or push on nuts just like a kids tricycle or wagon. YOU will destroy them by removing them and will require new ones to reinstall or drill the axe to install cotter pins. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I took my 40-dollar cart to the 'real' tire store for new tubes, since the junk chinese ones didn't hold air. Cost twenty bucks, but it was worth it just to watch their 200-pound plus tire monkey fight with the thing. He changed them on the cart- popped the bead and worked the talc'd tube in with a stick. Goodyear to the rescue- that was 7 or 8 years ago, and I haven't had to blow the tires up since. Any tire store that has 'industrial' mentioned in their yellow pages ad can probably set you up.

YMMV, of course- I doubt I would do that for a cart that was beat up and bent. My cart is only used for household work, so it'll probably outlive me.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Yes, there is a push-on nut of sorts which looks like a large locking washer. Anyway is there a tool to remove this nut or do I just need to bust it out somehow?

Thanks again

Lou

Reply to
Big_Lou

Big pair of pliers. Then buy a new push on nut at the hardware store.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Drilling the axle doesn't sound like too much fun so I would like to get new "push-on" nuts before I remove the old ones. Couldn't find them at Home Depot or Lowe's, and I wasn't sure what to search for on the web. What does PAL stand for? TIA

Lou

Reply to
Big_Lou

Ace Hardware has a little section back where the nuts and bolts are where they have those specialty push on nuts.

Also Lowes has a section of drawers in the hardware dept. where they sell oddball type stuff like that.

Personally I think you need to take off the old one's and bring them there, so you can give the clerk a "visual" of what it is you're asking for....they aren't too bright sometimes. In Florida I think you have to be at least 75 years old to work at Ace.

Drilling the axle isn't that hard. Just buy yourself a brand new drill bit to use, and a washer and cotter pin to fix your problem.

If you are using your cart over dirt or grass, don't get solid tires. Even on a hard surface, just a small object like a nut or bolt can stop you cold. Foam filled are OK I guess, but quality tube type tires can last a long time. I bought a nice Magliner aluminum handcart 15 years ago and still have the same tires and I use the heck out of it as a tileman.

Be sure to get the correct diameter wheels. The axle is positioned in a certain relationship to the flat base-plate at the bottom so only one size wheel will work.

A simple Magliner handcart would only be twice the cost of a couple of quality wheels/tires, and they'll ship it right to you.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

"thetiler" wrote (in part) in message news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hey. Don't buy that ageism-prejudice!

Albert Einstein was no slouch and was actively speaking, writing and lecturing until shortly before his death on this day, April 18th 1955, at age 76!

See also the San Francisco earthquake April 18th 1906. Apparently the inhabitants (of all ages and perhaps not too bright?) have rebuilt in exactly the same place. Getting ready, I guess, for the next one? Read something about "At least one third of the existing buildings would be severely damaged by another similar earthquake"?

Also in another 75-100 years much of Florida will quite possibly be under water, due to global warming?

Gotta go! Have some sheets of plasterboard/gyproc to install. Terry. Age

72+, some 300 feet above sea level in a non-earthquake zone.
Reply to
Stan

I've been able to re-use push on nuts** It may have required going round and round the circle a bit at a time, or maybe a big bit at a time. And it was just from a fold up shopping cart that people in the city walk to the grocery store with. 1/4 inch axle.

**(well they were round, not hex=shaped.)

Lou wrote:

But I'm not sure if Lou means the same thing we're talking about. locking washer?

Reply to
mm